G1, G2, G3 etc etc etc

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by crossed_axes, Aug 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give me a simple list of what each one covers?

I think:
    G2 is personnel
    G3 is training and operations
    G4 is equipment / stores

But what about G1 and all the rest? I think it goes up to G9??

And anyone know what the G stands for?!

thanks

2. I've put the nomenclature and some descriptors as used by PJHQ in here for completeness sake. Clearly not all HQs will use all of them. An Army HQ uses 'G' in place of 'J' hence 'Operations' in a Bde HQ is 'G3', not 'J3', although this is operation dependent.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Staff Designations

J1
    Personnel and Administration Personnel Management.
    Manpower Administration.
    Provost and Discipline.
    Prisoner of War Administration
    Casualty Procedures.

J2
    Intelligence Comprises:
    a. A Joint Intelligence Centre providing all-source analytical support to operational staffs and situation monitoring.
    b. A Joint Intelligence Ops Section providing requirements management and dissemination.
    c. A joint Intelligence Support Section, providing intelligence system support and collection management support.
    d. A BDA Cell providing collection of damage information and making assessments of target destruction.

J3
    Operations A Joint Operations Centre, providing continuous monitoring and immediate coordination of operations which may incorporate some or all of the following:
    a. A Current Operations Centre, providing supervision of allied joint operations and cells covering C2W (including EWCC, OPSEC, PSYOPS and Deception). The Centre also contains Sections covering Maritime, Land, Air, Special Operations and Space Operations (see below).
    b. An Operations Support Cell provides advice on functional areas such as: ROE, NBC Defence, Meteorology/Oceanography, Search and Rescue.
    c. A Combined Joint Reports Cell that prepares all reports for the joint commander, provides operations summaries and prepares/maintains records of all significant operational matters.

J3(M)
    Maritime Operations Maritime operations, including: anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare, mine-countermeasures, amphibious operations, organic air and supporting maritime air operations (coordinated with Air Operations).

J3(L)
    Land Operations Land, including Army aviation (eg helicopters etc), airborne (eg Paras), airmobile force and supporting land operations. Force movement.

J3(A)
    Air Operations Offensive, defensive, and supporting air operations. Maritime air operations are coordinated with Naval Operations.

J3(SF)
    Special Forces Operations Special operations, including CSAR.

J3(SP)
    Space Operations Space operations, including satellites.

J4
    Logistics and Health Service Support
    Logistic/Combat Service Support.
    Health Service Support.
    Logistic Host Nation Support (HNS) coordination.
    Movement and Transportation Coordination.
    Contracting.
    Infrastructure Engineering.

J5
    Plans and Policy Campaign Planning and Estimate Process.
    Forward Planning and Coordination.
    Contingency Planning.
    Operational Analysis (OA).

J6
    CIS Communications and Information Systems Management.
    Frequency Management.
    Cryptography.

J7
    Doctrine and Training Doctrine Management.
    Exercise Planning.

J8
    Resources and Finance Civil Secretariat.
    Civilian Personnel Management
    Finance and Budget Planning.
    Contract Authority.

J9
    Civil Military Co-Operation Provides the Civil-Military interface, including:
    Negotiation of Coordination and Support Arrangements and Agreements Coordination of Civil-Military Support
    Co-ordination with National Civil Emergency Planning

Notes:

1. The J7 staff would normally be part of a peacetime headquarters organization; the Cell is unlikely to be included in an operational headquarters.

2. The Resource and Finance staff may form a special group, separate from the main headquarters.

3. A Civil-Military Coordination Centre (CIMIC Centre) may be formed, under the direction of the Chief of Staff (COS) in order to effect coordination between the allied joint force and international bodies, non-governmental or private voluntary organizations.

4. The Joint Force Commander may have a Staff Judge Advocate on their personal staff.

5. A Press and Information Centre (PIC) may be established. The Head of the PIC would be responsible to the COS.

6. 'G' stands for 'General' as in 'General Staff'. 'J' is 'Joint', 'A' is 'Air', and 'N' is 'Naval' for the matelots!

3. It originates from the term General Staff Officer, the abbreviation used to be GSO etc

G1 Personnel
    G2 Security
    G3 operations, Training & Plans
    G4 Bit and Pieces

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And of course the Naval version is N - so N8 is Finance / CivSec.

What the crabs call themselves I neither know nor care.

5. J3(SP)
    Space Operations Space operations, including satellites.

yep...heads in the clouds

6. Dear crossed_axes,
    I can't believe that you got where you did without knowing at least G1-G4.
    How did you fathom out what the 'Hairy Handbook' was banging on about?
    You can now look forward to a test at his stag night...so git larnin'!
    Sticky :wink:

7. msr

msr LE

msr's handy cut out and keep ready reckoner:

G1 - Personnel
    G2 - Intelligence/NBC
    G3 - Ops
    G4 - Logistics
    G5 - Planning
    G6 - Comms
    G7 - Training
    G8 - Finance
    G9 - CIMIC

msr

8. Is recruiting and Training G1 or G7?

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

According to our G-files it falls under G3. No idea why.

10. Recruiting, in and of itself is, a G3 activity. Training, treated generically, is a G7 activity.

11. Oh good, I must pass this info on to Ops :twisted: