G.Brown Vetoes the VC coin.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Letterwritingman, Jun 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Taken from the Telegraph today:

There is no substance to the rumour that G.Brown felt that, rather than crosshairs, a Treasury Knife would be more appropriate :twisted:

2. Notwithstanding the debate 'raging' above, this is what the Street of Shame had to say about the introduction of the 50p in 1969:

For the full story, click here!

All of which just goes to show that the general populace will whinge about anything and everything...now back on thread. :D

3. I think it the **** right the design is poo .At least lose the cross hairs
    for **** sake the vc is about bravery not getting slotted !Whats wrong with a charging soldier .

4. Since you have to be a member to login to to read the story, and i cant be arrsed to join
    is there a picture of what the coin is at the moment?

5. The design is dreadful, and does not seem to have any visual link to the VC (and if you're a spotter, then the graticule of the "enemy sniper scope" is not really like anything ever used against Commonwealth troops).

Pity that the PC brigade have focussed on the "saving wounded comrades under fire" aspect of the VC, rather than valiant combat actions (eg the various aircrew & naval awards) or heroism during actual hand-to-hand fighting (most of the land forces awards).

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Interesting thought -

Could any spotter out there tell us roughly how many VCs have been awarded for the 'rescuing' sort of Action, as opposed to 'close action' (Beharry, the D-Day Sgt Major, Boy Cornwall) or 'combat action' ( Leonard Cheshire, etc).

I'm surprised Gay Gordon didn't veto it, and replace it with a commemoration of the GC or GM.

7. I really hate to say this, but I think he was right to veto it. I reckon it looks pants!

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I agree.

9. That shows nothing to do with the valour for which the medal is won.

and as much as i loath to say this but i actually agree with blubber brown

10. Who the fcuk designed that?! :evil:

Just put an image of the cross and 1856-2006 on it.

11. It isn't even a particularly dynamic portrayal, surely a fireman's carry or similar would be a better image or better Clarkson's father-in-law taking on a Tiger with his PIAT.

12. The thing looks more appropriate for a PIRA medal........

13. yh its a sh*t design
    but the basic idea defenetly needs doing