Günter Grass describes his life in the Waffen SS

A quite long piece in the NewYorker, but an interesting read from Günter Grass detailing how he ended up as a panzer gunner fighting the Russians. Reads a little like George MacDonald Fraser's tales of his war in Burma. A severe lack of glamour, but chilling stuff.

Wasn't his 'coming out' a major shock for the German Left?

Older_by_the_day said:
Really good read that one!

Left me intrigued to know more.
It makes me wonder how I (or any of us on ARRSE) would have acted if we had been born in the wrong time and wrong place... I'm a bit of a lefty, but I am sure I'd have been rolling across Europe with my sausage-eating chums...

Its an excellent piece - I really wonder what happened to the 'Ayran Ideal' who refused to hold a weapon in training, I hope he survived, likewise the Pfc 'first class'.

His "coming out" was a bit of "no-news" a little while ago, since he'd mentioned his service yonks ago, but nobody took much notice at the time.

I admire him as a writer, but the man himself is a preposterously pompous prat, who's given to start his sentences with: "We intellectuals ....

I had the (mis?)fortune of being collared by him at a presentation of his fish etchings in a Berlin gallery sometime in the late Seventies. I pretended not to know who he was, which irritated him enormously (Was! Sie wissen wirklich nicht, wer ich bin? - What! You really don't know who I am?). As did the fact that I declared I wasn't interested in his giving me a signed copy of his book "Der Butt" (I don't know the English title).

So, a good writer certainly, but otherwise a total wänker so far up his own arrse he has a tonsil in each cheek.

I've never read any of his books in English, what are they like?

MsG

Bugsy said:

MsG
Not exactly a 'light' read, but good stuff.

Bugsy said:
His "coming out" was a bit of "no-news" a little while ago, since he'd mentioned his service yonks ago, but nobody took much notice at the time.

I admire him as a writer, but the man himself is a preposterously pompous prat, who's given to start his sentences with: "We intellectuals ....

I had the (mis?)fortune of being collared by him at a presentation of his fish etchings in a Berlin gallery sometime in the late Seventies. I pretended not to know who he was, which irritated him enormously (Was! Sie wissen wirklich nicht, wer ich bin? - What! You really don't know who I am?). As did the fact that I declared I wasn't interested in his giving me a signed copy of his book "Der Butt" (I don't know the English title).

So, a good writer certainly, but otherwise a total wänker so far up his own arrse he has a tonsil in each cheek.

MsG
Bugsy mate, I don't know! To my shame I have never read any one of them.
My old German work mates used to get really pished off when I couldn't name a German author who I had read :oops:

Any suggestions (In English please, my German just isn't up to it)?

edited for spack grammar

I find it strange that all the old boxheads were either in Uboats,Afrika Korps or Waffen SS and none were Concentration camp Guards,still I suppose it hasn't got much Walting potential

Schleswig-Holstein said:
My old German work mates used to get really pished off when I couldn't name a German author who I had read :oops:

edited for spack grammar
Tin Drum is the 'must read' classic

Run_Charlie! said:
Schleswig-Holstein said:
A quite long piece in the NewYorker, but an interesting read from Günter Grass detailing how he ended up as a panzer gunner fighting the Russians. Reads a little like George MacDonald Fraser's tales of his war in Burma. A severe lack of glamour, but chilling stuff.
sorry R_C, I skillfully hid the link in the original post, have bolded it up for you

armchair_jihad said:
Schleswig-Holstein said:

edited for spack grammar
Cheers A-J, I just read the synopsis in Wikipedia... sounds bonkers! Think I'll get this one from the library rather than splashing out :wink:

armchair_jihad said:
Schleswig-Holstein said:

edited for spack grammar
Cat and mouse is a really good book too...Ironically some years ago alan coren said for a book to be a best-seller it should be about golf or cats or both and have a Nazi emblem on the cover. My paperback version of C&M has a cat wearing a Knight's Cross...so it ought to fly off the shelves!

I've read both Cat and Mouse and Tin Drum, though this was about 25 yrs ago. Tin Drum was a top read if a bit complex and with an unusual and novel plot line. I found his writing style in a similar mold to kaffka. The movie of Tin Drum is worth a watch though not as good as the book.

I can understand that given the climate of the time it was prudent to keep his politics to himself and go with the flow but I always thought that the SS was a volunteer force for Nazi supporters.

armchair_jihad said:
Schleswig-Holstein said:

edited for spack grammar
Liked the bit where the Red Army are searching a cattle car of fleeing Germans and someone waves his Social-Democrat party pin at them defensively. Gets kicked to death of course.