FYI Sevenoaks OBs and also Educators

Richard Barker, Headmaster Sevenoaks 1981-1996, has died after a long illness.

He was a great innovator in education and amongst other achievements was responsible for promoting the Int Bac at Sevenoaks and taking the school co-educational. He was one of the founders of the Business Studies concept in senior schools, and was the driving force behind the subject being accepted into the A Level syllabus. He was also my cousin.

A full Obit is here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6949115.ece

From 'Lives Remembered':

Professor D. R. Myddelton writes: I taught at Marlborough in 1981-82 on a sabbatical year from my chair at Cranfield. Richard Barker had just left to become headmaster of Sevenoaks School; but during that year I wrote three books (on accounting, finance and economics) in the Understanding Business series under his editorship. He was an inspiring leader, someone you wanted to impress even if you weren’t on his payroll. Despite being extremely busy he always had time to help; and he continued for many years as a trustee of the Cambridge Business Studies Project Trust, where I succeeded John Dancy as chairman. Richard Barker probably did more for the academic study of business in this country than almost anyone else in my lifetime.

Please don't turn this into an RIP thread, but if any Old Sennockians have memories of him, jot them down here (or PM me), and I will see that they get passed on.