Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Fraser, Aug 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

Following a link from another thread on Signals Forum, I found this picture on the Royal Corps of Signals Museum site.

Apparently it is an FV436, but I think it actually looks like something else. Anyone care to comment?
  2. [​IMG]

Looks the same to me
  3. It looks the same as what, an FV432? :roll:

My question was, is it an FV436? :wink:
  4. Surely with a turret that big it's an AS90.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

6. def not a 436
  7. spent many a year on 436 's , and thats not one !! ( where is the quad cable connections on the side ? ) And I'm only an Sapper !
  8. Looks more like a 439, but more likely an electronic warfare variant of the 43 series. Any wobbly heads care to comment?
  9. I'd say it was a AFV 436 Radio Relay, as far as I can remember all ptmargian signal veh's regardless of its use was classed as a 436
  10. Regardless of what veh Wavell, SAS/MC or Radio Relay it was classed as a AFV 439. However this aint no Ptarmigan Veh I've ever seen. If you look at the size of the mast it's huge and wrong side for a relay. Scam 70ft maybe?? one gene? does look like the cable frames on the left hand side. Maybe some spec veh (EW??) or a shite representation.
  11. The FV 430 series includes the following, all using the same base chassis.

FV 431 Armoured load carrier, never produced.
    FV 432 Armoured Personnel Carrier/ Command variants also exist in similar configurations to FV 436
    FV 433 Abbot self propelled gun
    FV 434 REME Maintenance Carrier with Hydraulically driven Crane
    FV 435 (designation not used)
    FV 436 Command and control
    FV 437 (designation not used)
    FV 438 Swingfire Missile
    FV 439 Signals vehicle - many variants

Google's my friend
  12. cymberline? were you looking at the same picture as the rest of us? :)

looks like some sort of comms / command variant to me. but no idea what.
  13. Looks like an attempt to model one of the Vampire converted 432's that 14 Sigs were equipped with for Op Granby - first time the British Army had put armoured EW kit into the field. I don't think they received any particular designation - they were bog standard FV432, so there were none of the quad connectors on either side, nor the armoured bin on the back for the various other kinds of comms hardwiring on the outside.

Hope that helps
  14. That is not a Sigs RR panzer..I should know

It looks to me like a 432 with a fcuk off big pencil on the roof, RR panzers had the mast located centraly for the sole purpose of having even more clutter to catch your cam net in...oh how I used to love doing that, 2am just got into loc..wet tired cold, no night vision then some prat comes along and tells you to cam up and do it with your webbing on and carrying your rifle...joyous
    Why did we ever bother to cam up? all the soxmis had to do was follow the lorry delivering the porta bogs...mmmmmmmm comradeski why do you think they are delivering 5 porta bogs to the top of a deserted hill, ah comrade ivanov, thats easy, comcen yankee are on the move and they are shit
  15. The vehicle in question is a FV432 with a one off EW retrofit for the Gulf back in 1991. I know because i was part of the team doing the fit and it was a pain in the arse...pmsl.