• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

FV432 with mine plough

Hi All

looking for some photo help for my books on Fv432, I need some shots of the FV432 fitted with plough that went on Gulf 1. I understand that this was the radio control version in that it was remotely driven from another 43.

I need good quality shots preferably by email, if you need to have prints then I will cover cost. Any used will be credited to owner.

I am not press or walt or anything like that. Check RAC.REME board and ask for tiffy/massive, he will vouch for me.

Don't remember ever seeing a 432 with a plough but stand corrected if there was. I seem to remember early january 91 the whole of 4 Brigade (might even have been the whole division ?) forming up prior to moving up country and a helecopter flying over taking photo's. MOD might have the archive photo which might show a 432 with a plough fitted??

commander said:
Hi All

looking for some photo help for my books on Fv432, I need some shots of the FV432 fitted with plough that went on Gulf 1. I understand that this was the radio control version in that it was remotely driven from another 43.

I need good quality shots preferably by email, if you need to have prints then I will cover cost. Any used will be credited to owner.

I am not press or walt or anything like that. Check RAC.REME board and ask for tiffy/massive, he will vouch for me.
Know we got at least one pic at work will post it/them tomorrow

No I am 100% sure, first I saw both vehicles at Ashchurch, but have lost negatives hence the request, second I have some shots taken at Al Jubyal after GW1 also some shots from old armoured engineer.force9 site. So yes it did exist.

The the theory was as 43 is to soft against mines the plough would be fitted to the unmanned vehicle while the second followed at a safe distance controlling it via camera link and radio control.

Reco_Cell said:
commander said:
Hi All

Know we got at least one pic at work will post it/them tomorrow
Reco
Thanks for thta look forward to it. :D

I believe there was one or two fitted with a scatterable mine plough crewed by 37 Fld Sqn Re whilst it was attached with32AER. I'll see if I've got some photos although I'm not 100% certain I've got any.

For those who have never seen the FV432 plough here it is, (found 1 shot) missing in this view is the forward cmaera arm. Cameras located on all four faces, and spare parts for plough bolted to the side.

isn't that the one that has manifested itself into a version for the Warrior? I have seen pics of the GW1 version a while back....what you REALLY want to see is the Chieftain (Willich) AVRE fitted with the mahoosive mine rollers......cccoooorrrr!!! :twisted:

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
G_O_D_is_Armoured said:
from recollection it wasnt very good
unlike the plan to break through sand berms by using 165 shells - that worked really well ............. :oops:

Those were the days - most of the Regt was as mad as a box of frogs.
After all the trouble of getting us big bullets for the Cent's the least that could have been done was find a job for us. It was either bund busting or nowt.

That pic is of the scatterable mine clearance devices which we used in 35 Engr Regt (took them to Bosnia in 92 as well and I used one for some baricade/mine on road removal)

Never had them remote controlled ?? the 43 used to lean forward so much as the whole set up was out of balance, while driving you got a crook in your neck looking up all the time as your driving position was leaning forward. The outer pieces of the device folded up into the middle if I remember and the front folds upwards for driving on the road normally.

We did trials in 84/5 ish 'old man memory not as good' with a proper mine plough (think it was one side from a AVRE plough) but the 43 did not have the grunt to push it in anything but soft sand so it was binned very quickly. (Although not as quick as out scatterable mine clearance kit for the Frogs 'Squadron Bar anyone')

Hi Leccy thanks for the insight on the operational use. They were configured to be remote contolled for the crews safety, powers that be did not think 432 was very mine proof, so came up with the remote station idea. I have seen both these vehicles and some further shots will hopefully appear in the book showing the camera and other items for remote. What I am not saying is they were used operationally, I supose the Bosnia period must have been very early as all I saw was arrdvark.

You have to admit remote contro 432 ultimate boys toy, although we also did it with Project crazy Horse and radio controlled a chieftain.

Lol always worried me pushing AT mines with this get up but most of the barricades were moved when we turned up (mines attached to planks laid across the road with some old boy and a piece of rope to pull it either onto the road or off)

Wonder if they forgot about the remote system when they gave them to us ????? the plough control was not fixed and could be controlled by the commander or driver to raise and lower the device.

I never saw any sort of attachments for the tillers or accelerator for remote operation although that would make sense (damn I actually drove one of these grrrrrr)

Wonder if I can claim delayed PTSD due to new info (mind you they thought I was bonkers before hand so probably not)

These two were down at RETDU Bovington (co-located with ATDU not the D&M side) in 2002. They were prototypes/experiemental models. I can't remember what happened to them although others here may know. Contact them for a photo as I know that some were taken (deleted mine).

Latest Threads