FV101 Scorpion

slick

LE
I spotted this on faceache, couldn`t help thinking it was a bit overpriced until I saw a good example on the net for about 38k.
Helston Gunsmiths have had a few of these and other kit sat outside their shop for at least the last 14 years that I know of.
Not the sort of project I`d want to tackle....

Interesting that the gun can be left intact if sold to a licensed dealer.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, presumably it would be impossible to acquire 76mm ammo legally, but even if that could be solved, am I correct in assuming that it would be illegal to fire the weapon?

Cos if not, what's to stop Johnny badass acquiring the vehicle through a dodgy, but licensed, dealer, and causing mayhem with it?

Same thing for MBTs, are the guns intact when sold? Can be fired with a bag of black powder? Must be some kind of regulations around these weapons, otherwise you could fire pretty much anything smaller than 120mm out of a Chieftain barrel.

If there are regulations that the weapon has to be deactivated, why would the seller include the clause about the gun?

syrup

LE

At the risk of opening a can of worms, presumably it would be impossible to acquire 76mm ammo legally, but even if that could be solved, am I correct in assuming that it would be illegal to fire the weapon?

Cos if not, what's to stop Johnny badass acquiring the vehicle through a dodgy, but licensed, dealer, and causing mayhem with it?

Same thing for MBTs, are the guns intact when sold? Can be fired with a bag of black powder? Must be some kind of regulations around these weapons, otherwise you could fire pretty much anything smaller than 120mm out of a Chieftain barrel.

If there are regulations that the weapon has to be deactivated, why would the seller include the clause about the gun?

IIRC from watching something about restoring one of these
The main armament including anything up to a Chieftains gun can be used on a shot gun licence.
I think some mods were made so you could fire blanks for smoke and effect but that was about it.

The smoke discharges have to blocked off as they were classified as a multi barrelled weapon and therefore illegal

Mate of mine in Blandford restores these - and 101s - for fun. He's looked at the Helston Gunsmiths collection in the past and walked away.

It would be on a FAC (firearm certificate). Blank ammunition (as over 1”) also held on FAC. Lots of re-enactors have them from 25 lbr’s to M10’s on FAC.

If the breech block and Striker Mech Assembly are still present, then have at it :cool:

IIRC from watching something about restoring one of these
The main armament including anything up to a Chieftains gun can be used on a shot gun licence.
I think some mods were made so you could fire blanks for smoke and effect but that was about it.
Rifled barrel (and over 2” calibre), so FAC as above
The smoke discharges have to blocked off as they were classified as a multi barrelled weapon and therefore illegal
Smoke dischargers used to be deactivated. ACPO (at the time) based on FSS advice in about 2008/9 exempted them, no need to deactivate any more.

Para 13:69-71 of the guidance on re-enactment.

Last edited:

Jonnynoname

War Hero
If the breech block and Striker Mech Assembly are still present, then have at it :cool:
you fire blanks
I spotted this on faceache, couldn`t help thinking it was a bit overpriced until I saw a good example on the net for about 38k.
Helston Gunsmiths have had a few of these and other kit sat outside their shop for at least the last 14 years that I know of.
Not the sort of project I`d want to tackle....

it really breaks my heart when i see some of these beautiful pieces of history rusting away.

I am looking to acquire around 6 76mm casings for a friend, to allow them to get blank ammunition made up.
Does anyone know of any sources?

slick

LE
Mate of mine in Blandford restores these - and 101s - for fun. He's looked at the Helston Gunsmiths collection in the past and walked away.
I can`t say I blame him. The kit is in a terrible condition and got worse over the years, hence why I thought it was overpriced.
I can remember bumping into a scrap dealer in the mid 1990s at Bovey Tracey in Devon. He had a couple of running Ferrets he had bought at auction a couple of months previous, when the army was clearing a load of kit. He wanted £800 each, They were in such good nick that I could`ve jumped in and drove one home but had nowhere at the time to park it up.

syrup

LE
I can`t say I blame him. The kit is in a terrible condition and got worse over the years, hence why I thought it was overpriced.
I can remember bumping into a scrap dealer in the mid 1990s at Bovey Tracey in Devon. He had a couple of running Ferrets he had bought at auction a couple of months previous, when the army was clearing a load of kit. He wanted £800 each, They were in such good nick that I could`ve jumped in and drove one home but had nowhere at the time to park it up.
Sadly a few years back when scrap prices were through the roof a lot of classic kit got weighed in

I gather the attitude is familiar - "We'll hang on to the kit until it's really rare and valuable, then make a killing." - while watching it dissolve.

TBH the hull looks rotten, the alloy is blistering and is liable to be weaker than me on a PFT...

I asked the same question re ownership and ammo recently to a Scorpion owner. He has it on a Section 1 FAC because, even though the UK might not use the required ammo now other nations might or do.

A Cheiftain we recently sent to Canada was all intact firing wise, barrel was a bit rusty mind, but their regs are even tighter. The barrel had to be drilled and pinned. I have a video of that being done and when I get home on Sunday will try and remember to post that here.