Fuzzy Wuzzys

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bollock-chops, Oct 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bloody hell, watched The Four Feathers for the first time today, what a bloody scary lot they are.

Still laughing at the officer commenting on how the Dervishes treat captured soldiers.

"They slice your nose off and string you up by your toes, bloody terrible business, money falling out of your pockets and all that"

2. After you've pissed it up the wall,from my memories,not much cash there then :lol:

3. Care to extrapolate which version of the novel by AEW Mason please.

4. It was the 1939 film by Zoltan Korda, John Laurie played the Khalifa

Screenplay by R.C. Sherriff

5. So here's to you, Fuzzy Wuzzy
    At your home in the Sudan
    You're a poor, benighted Heathan
    But a first-class fighting man!

Yes here's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy
    With your barrack-head of hair
    You big, black bounding bugger
    For you broke a British Square!

Mr Kipling wrote exceedingly good poems!

6. I had to research breaking the square after reading that poem this afternoon, respect.

7. The Alexander Korda version was said to be more accurate as to the type of uniforms that were worn during the Soudan Campaign. He also used actual fuzzy-wuzzys in the battle scenes that had taken part in the real battle 40 years before.

A more recent remake (2002) had the late Heath Ledger in the Harry Faversham role. It had beautiful photography, but was inaccurate in certain details of the soldiers' uniforms and kit.

8. I'll say, the accuracy I darent comment on for fear of becoming a walt, having never seen a dervish or a fuzzy wuzzy, I reckon the film did fuzzy proud.

9. From Wiki

10. We have just had the recent version on the local TV.
    Saw the original so many years ago when I was a sprog.
    john

11. At a recent auction in Cardiff there was a Schnider Enfield carbine that had been used in the film for sale, with it was all kinds of documentation and other memorabilia relating to the film ,signed photos and such

12. That would make you a fuzzy wuzzy walt.