Futuristic Hovering Weapon System

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jaybee2786, Dec 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MKV

They will never hear this one coming

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Strikes me as a bit dumb. Why change where they launch from? Why not just change the direction your fire them so that they converge with the incoming targets?

3. ah but you only like because it flys dont you ! :wink:

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

There was me thinking someone had read episode 1 of The Zone by James Rouch (written mid-70s, set in their near future with Germany reduced to a smoking, chemical, biological hole) and thinking it was real.

5. I have a couple of those in my book case. Does that make me a bad person hinny?

6. Having been demoted to doing the housework this week (yes, I know....) I thought that said "Futuristic Hoovering Weapon System." Now that would be useful.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You mean this?

[​IMG]

8. I want one !

9. You don't need one. The Yanks might but, over here, it was recently announced in Parliament that we have our own hovering weapon system. It's apparently capable of saving the entire world.

[​IMG]

10. Fixed

11. Futuristic Hovering Weapon System? I know that John Hutton's procurement statement was economical with the verite, but even I would draw the line at describing Future Lynx in this way AND I'm in MARKETING!

12. Eh? :?

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, if you note what happens in the video footage, the pods all deploy around the core projectile or unit, and using their internal thrusters, shift themselves about a bit in relation to the main unit.

Now, if there's a bunch of MIRVS and decoys flying towards a target in a wide pattern, why try and space these things out over what could be quite a significant area to try and 'catch' the incoming projectiles? Why not simply have multiple-launch rockets that leave the 'mothership' on individual trajectories that collide with the incoming MIRVS and decoys?

I'm thinking 'why run about the battlefield to make sure you catch all te baddies, when you could simply changing the point of aim for your weapon from one static position and fire bullets' . . . 'don't rugby tackle the other guys, just fcuking shoot them!' :D

14. The killbodies are dumb, so you only need one sensor/seeker for the main body.