FUTURISTIC BOOKS AND FILMS SET IN DATES THAT HAVE NOW PASSED

When the moon tore away, moon base alpha was in contact with earth for a bit. The world went crazy, massive tidal surges and earth quakes due to losing the moon. They lost contact soon after, so who knows if the population survived.
Why do I remember this sh1t when I can't remember what I did last week.
I recall an episode in which alien survivors were heading for Earth, stopping off at Alpha before voyaging on.
Out of the frying pan into the fire?

We don't mention it because the ending makes us cry.......

(Sniff)

......poor little robot.
I’m with you on that one. Watched it years ago as a nipper and bawled my eyes out. Will never, ever watch it again.

'Space 1999' used props from '2001'

Open an X File

I quite liked some of the Star Trek The Motion Picture clobber (bar the unexplained belt buckle gizmos)
cast_helm.jpg

ETA "Sleeves down Jim!!"
star-trek-the-motion-picture-uniforms.jpg
The brown lass was excellent.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
'Space 1999' used props from '2001'

Open an X File

no, it didn't. everything for S1999 was made bespoke - the budget for the first series was around £2.5 million - the most ever spent on a tv show at the time. (almost £27 million today).

however some 2001 kit *did* turn up in Blakes 7 and dr who.

Spacehopper383

War Hero
I recall an episode in which alien survivors were heading for Earth, stopping off at Alpha before voyaging on.
Out of the frying pan into the fire?
I think that was the episode were they had a politician trapped with them on the moon and blagged a spare sleeping space on the aliens ship (with a wave and so long suckers) only to find that he woke up after a month or so (into a couple of years trip) sealed in a glass box, so would die of lack of food and water, Karma is a bitch.

Spacehopper383

War Hero
I’m with you on that one. Watched it years ago as a nipper and bawled my eyes out. Will never, ever watch it again.
Exactly the same happen with me, back then as films tended to be shown only once in a blue moon, there is a chance we both watched at the same time.

I think that was the episode were they had a politician trapped with them on the moon and blagged a spare sleeping space on the aliens ship (with a wave and so long suckers) only to find that he woke up after a month or so (into a couple of years trip) sealed in a glass box, so would die of lack of food and water, Karma is a bitch.
I remember. The chamber was calibrated for another lucky(?) winner, and the aforementioned idiot replaced them despite warnings.

I was watching the repeats of "Fringe" this evening and it occurred to to me that the Observer invasion from the final season should have happened by now.

Still a very enjoyable series, how John Noble didn't pick up at least one award for it I'll never know.

Fringe (2008-2013). Anna Torv. Good Australian lass.

anna-torv-feet.jpg
She plays nearly as many parts as Noble - although I have to say I prefer slightly repressed Olivia to slightly dirty Faulivia.

I reckon Amazon should try casting her as Galadriel in their upcoming Middle Earth show if they can't get Blanchett.

no, it didn't. everything for S1999 was made bespoke - the budget for the first series was around £2.5 million - the most ever spent on a tv show at the time. (almost £27 million today).

however some 2001 kit *did* turn up in Blakes 7 and dr who.

It did start out as UFO version 2
So I can see some things being recycled/copied from there.

Edge of Tomorrow. Made in 2014, set in 2020.

In 2015, aliens called "Mimics" arrive in Germany via an asteroid and swiftly conquer most of continental Europe. By 2020, the United Defense Force (UDF), a global military alliance established to combat the alien threat, finally achieves a victory over the Mimics at Verdun using newly developed mech-suits.

Movie set in 2019, Rutger Hauer’s character dies. IRL Rutgers Hauer dies in 2019……. (queue Twilight Zone music)
And Akira.

1988 film.

When Tokyo was chosen to host the 2020 Summer Olympics in the 2013 bidding process, several commentators claimed that Akira predicted the future event.[149][150] In 2017, Akira was referenced in several Tokyo Olympic promotions.[151] In February 2020, during the coronavirus pandemic and 147 days before the Olympics, a scene in Akira which calls for the cancellation of the 2020 Olympics (147 days before the event) led to a social media trend calling for the cancellation of the 2020 Olympics.[152][153] The Summer Olympics were eventually postponed to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Oh, and The last man on Earth being superseded by the Omega man, then let down by I am legend.
After recently watching the original Vincent Price movie and reading the book, it definately went down hill with Charlton Heston and accelerated to warp speed with Will Smith.

On the subject of catastrophic events, anyone remember the BBC series in the mid-70's called "Survivors". I assume it was meant to be set in the mid 70's (saved on budget spent coming up with futuristic looking clothes and gadgets) and is described as "It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel."

Yeah, like that would ever happen......

anyone that knows me knows of my Alien obsession, but when it comes to 'truckers in space' everyone bangs on about Alien but no one (bar mark kermode) ever mentions Silent Running from 1972 -

silent-runningpoker-with-the-crewmen2.jpg

btw, never specifically dated, but the spoken intro at the start makes mention of 'the first day of this new century' - which could make it this century. or the next one.
Watched when I was 16 and thought it boring hippy crap. Preferred Dark Star.