FUTURISTIC BOOKS AND FILMS SET IN DATES THAT HAVE NOW PASSED

"Invasion", another 2000AD strip where Britain is invaded in the far off world of 1990 by the Volgans and only everyhero Bill Savage can save the country. How futuristic "1990" sounded back then.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
In 1997 crime in the US becomes so bad that they build a wall around New York and it is turned into a large open penitentiary, a bit like everything currently within the M25 boundary.
Escape from New York - Wikipedia
That would make everything outside the M25, the Cursed Earth, a place full of muties (especially Devon, Cornwall, Norfolk and Suffolk).

I have already eaten "Soylent Red"; a soya and lentil steak (not thus branded, butas described in the original book'Make Room! Make Room!' by Harry Harrison) coloured with beetroot (I think/hope!) from a health food shop.
Health food and some of the stuff they sell is a contradiction in terms. I worked at cranks for a short while back in the 60's, the branch at the top of carnaby street in SOHO, the staff all looked anemic, and could have done with a good dose of protein, carbohydrates and fat. About two months ago we had two painters in to do the outside of the house, one lad was fine, the other was a vegan, and he looked like he had just escaped from Bergen-Belsen.

Last edited:

DITA

MIA
That would make everything outside the M25, the Cursed Earth, a place full of muties (especially Devon, Cornwall, Norfolk and Suffolk).
To me, the cursed earth always looked far more interesting than mega city one and made for some good story lines. I remember one which involved a swarm of spiders.

As an old codger I consider myself lucky to have survived all the invasions of Great Britain by wily orientals and assorted commies (as depicted in the comics I read).

There were the Kushantis (invaded in 1980s).

The Kirgani invaded in the 90s. We were forced into using nuclear weapons. Unfortunately our nukes were prone to become unstable when damp (luckily it rarely rains here).

Both lots of evil oriental invaders were mostly thwarted by plucky teenagers (with the occasional bit of adult help) who then celebrated with sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer.

As a welcome relief from the evil wily orientals we were later then invaded by the Volgan Republic Of Asia. No idea where they came from but Volga/Slavic language/AK47s might be a bit of a giveaway. Bastards blew up the Post Office Tower. Can't remember the dates of that (early 80s??) but no kids were involved in saving Britain. Instead, it was Bill Savage (truck driver, firearms enthusiast, the HARDEST MAN IN BRITAIN and regular contributor to ARRSE).

It's been a hard knock life.

Health food and some of the stuff they sell is a contradiction in terms. I worked at cranks for a short while back in the 60's, the branch at the top of carnaby street in SOHO, the staff all looked anemic, and could have done with a good dose of protein, carbohydrates and fat. About two months ago we had two painters in to do the outside of the house, one lad was fine, the other was a vegan, and he looked like he had just escaped from Bergen-Belsen.
I just went there for Oriental delicacies, like Welsh miso. No longer available, alas.
The Soylent Red caught my eye and begged to be tried.

As an old codger I consider myself lucky to have survived all the invasions of Great Britain by wily orientals and assorted commies (as depicted in the comics I read).

There were the Kushantis (invaded in 1980s).

The Kirgani invaded in the 90s. We were forced into using nuclear weapons. Unfortunately our nukes were prone to become unstable when damp (luckily it rarely rains here).

Both lots of evil oriental invaders were mostly thwarted by plucky teenagers (with the occasional bit of adult help) who then celebrated with sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer.

As a welcome relief from the evil wily orientals we were later then invaded by the Volgan Republic Of Asia. No idea where they came from but Volga/Slavic language/AK47s might be a bit of a giveaway. Bastards blew up the Post Office Tower. Can't remember the dates of that (early 80s??) but no kids were involved in saving Britain. Instead, it was Bill Savage (truck driver, firearms enthusiast, the HARDEST MAN IN BRITAIN and regular contributor to ARRSE).

It's been a hard knock life.
I'd be more worried about the Jelly Men.

The Rocky Horror show.

How much more camp can you get than Tim Curry's LGBT+WTF+ character?
This camp enough for you? :p
1628165988200-jpeg.594135

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
"Invasion", another 2000AD strip where Britain is invaded in the far off world of 1990 by the Volgans and only everyhero Bill Savage can save the country. How futuristic "1990" sounded back then.
1990 was the prequel "Disaster" story-line (where there was massive flooding caused by a US/USSR sub collision under the arctic icecap). The "Invasion" storyline was set in 1999.

UFO tv series.

Made around 1970 and I think set in the 1980's. At this time, if things had panned out, we would have had cars that looked vaguely French , 'planes that look a bit like Concorde and a moon base staffed by scantily clad middle class ladies.

Also invading aliens that looked like green people.

And women with big boobies wearing string vests and no bras.

Bugger the flying car.

Bit of a thread drift, I'm afraid but it's something I've been thinking about recently and I suppose this thread's theme is as good as any to post.
The time-travelling aspect of films
In a way, we are able to glimpse the future because we know 'what became of so and so?"

Who can watch the re-runs of films like the Superman series without thinking of Christopher Reeve ending up paralysed from the neck down, or films of Robin Williams topping himself.
Of course, the fate of some are so well known that it seems nothing out of the ordinary, Leslie Howard, Marilyn Monroe- James Dean, Judy Garland for example.
But it's among the lesser-known that it gets a bit more strange, if not spooky. The number of times I've checked out the name of an actor or actress only to find either they died young, often of suicides or alcohol problems. It happen an awful lot.
Of course, people live long lives or they live short lives, it's just a bit spooky (and sad) to see some of them captured on the screen at a moment in time, oblivious of their future destiny whereas we know what the future has in store for them, as we watch the film.

Bit of a thread drift, I'm afraid but it's something I've been thinking about recently and I suppose this thread's theme is as good as any to post.
The time-travelling aspect of films
In a way, we are able to glimpse the future because we know 'what became of so and so?"

Who can watch the re-runs of films like the Superman series without thinking of Christopher Reeve ending up paralysed from the neck down, or films of Robin Williams topping himself.
Of course, the fate of some are so well known that it seems nothing out of the ordinary, Leslie Howard, Marilyn Monroe- James Dean, Judy Garland for example.
But it's among the lesser-known that it gets a bit more strange, if not spooky. The number of times I've checked out the name of an actor or actress only to find either they died young, often of suicides or alcohol problems. It happen an awful lot.
Of course, people live long lives or they live short lives, it's just a bit spooky (and sad) to see some of them captured on the screen at a moment in time, oblivious of their future destiny whereas we know what the future has in store for them, as we watch the film.
Someone somewhere in the future will be shown a photograph of you as a kid, youth, young man, soldier granddad etc, and the very same comments and memories will be remembered" Such a nice boy, made a good life for himself, lovely wife, and the kids done well. Made Sgt in the loamshires, did you know he climbed Everest in 2034, Pity he died so strangely, the police could never find out how he ended up dead in a whore house in port Talbot dressed as a french maid etc etc etc,......... who knows!

I have a picture of me as a new baby in 1950, in my mothers arms, standing along side is my father, grandfather, and great grand father, i now have 8 grandchildren, one is 18, so, its odds on before i hit 80, i to will be a great grandfather, that's 7 generations, all with their own photos and accompanying story, From 1876-2021 and beyond., how will they all remember me, their parents 6 times great grand father, born in 1876, 3 years before the battle of Rorkes drift 5 years before the shoot out at the OK corral, 12 years before jack the ripper, no TV radio, double glazing, cars, airplanes, fridges, central heating, tower bridge, etc etc

Think about all that, memories, lost in the fog of time, and only resurrected by old creased photos, and word of mouth.....lamp swung....sandbag positioned...........

Latest Threads