Future opportunities and employment prospects

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Percy Piccolo, Apr 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am going to Sandhurst in September, and am having a fair amount of trouble figuring out my COA...

Something tells me I should maybe try and look at which regiments can offer me the best employment prospects once I leave, further developing my degree instead of scrapping it.

I have a degree in Business, Maths and IT and am pretty tech savvy, and was therefore thinking about the Signals. However, I also speak a couple of languages, which got me thinking about the Intelligence Corps.

I am not looking for people to say X regiment is such that Y is so etc, I will figure that out for myself. I am purely asking with regards to extra skills gained which are transferable to the civilian world.

I have done a fair bit of research, and from what I gather the Signals would maybe provide me with the best prospects in an IT environment. As an Int Corps Officer, it seems that Management is what you really take away as well as the possibility of Government work.

I might be wrong though, and would really appreciate some unbiased advice with regards to future prospects in those regiments, or potentially others (I am not into Engineering though).

Thanks in advance
  2. I'd give the Loamshires a crack, fine regiment. Go for the IT Company.
  3. Thanks for the reply, I have looked there and all over the Army website, but can't seem to find anyone who openly talks about it. I couldn't find a sticky entitled "what next".

I was maybe hoping for some insight from officers who are or were in those regiments and can tell me what they or other officers were up against when they left. See if they had an advantage over a more mainstream regiment.

But, I might have it completely wrong and regardless of which regiment you go into, you're an officer and you come out with a similar set of skills. However, the idea I had was that potentially, going into a technical regiment, you may end up being headhunted from the regiment by civilian companies who are attracted to your expertise...

If that is the case, I'd love to know. It'd help tip the balance in favour of one route or another :)
  4. If you're joining the army in that hope you are living in a dreamworld.
    PS RMAS staff read thisxditexdo I hope your username is it able to be associated to your real name or where you come from!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. No, I'm not joining for those reasons, far from. It is more keeping my options open with regards to having an exit strategy if need be. As I have been reminded countless times... "Don't go into a room if you don't know where the exit is".

So no, I am not trying to find the best regiment to gain skills from and leave after 3 years, but more trying to find a compromise between one I may have initially gone for and one that improves my current skills. The aim here is to try and not throw my degree away as it has taken up 4 years of my life as well as require financing, but use it and build on it :)

That is why I am asking about those two regiments, I plan on staying on as long as the Army wants me for, so need a regiment I would enjoy. Recent changes though, have shown that if there are cuts made, and your contract is not renewed, it is worth while having a back-up plan!

The reference to being 'headhunted from of the regiment' is to try and quantify the level of skills gained throughout your service. Just like coming from the AAC, one would enjoy such benefits given their flying license and hours.
  6. You do realise that the ACC is now the RLC and nobody's ever passed the course. If you meant AAC then be advised that the pilots do not get "licences" they have to qualify them off their own bat.

7. AAC yes not ACC, sorry. From what I understand, pilots in the AAC can convert to a civilian license once they leave, where the experience they got flying is transferable.

I was wondering if being in the signals would lead to a similar advantage if an officer was to leave the army.

I have various regiments I'm interested in and I'm trying to get a better understanding of what each was has to offer that's all
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Generally the exit will be the same as the entrance - these new fangled doors let you traverse in both directions.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  9. Sadly that's not always the case, and in my view not having a back-up for most things is foolish. I've seen too many people stranded after having only considered one option in life. The reality is that if things can go wrong, they usually will, and not when you need them to...

Plus, I was told to look around at a whole variety of regiments, especially ones I wouldn't have initially thought to consider. And the best approach seems to be trying to figure out where my skills are the most relevant and where they'll be improved.

The COA is really hard, I mean I know I will have time to figure things out once I'm at Sandhurst, but any groundwork I put in now will make the decision that bit more informed. PLus it will have a huge impact on army life and what I get up to :D

Some years ago, if someone wanted to stay in the army for life, it was pretty much up to them. Now, it seems like it depends much more on the Army renewing your contract. If they don't need you anymore, you'll be glad to have thought of an exit strategy as the bills won't wait for you to have figured things out.
  10. FHA

FHA LE

As a civvy aircraft engineer, I can verify that many of the guys up front are ex Crabair/FAA/AAC. Ex rotary, fast jet, transport: loads of 'em. I know one Airbus captain who still flies rotary wing for the Navy too.

Good degree, multi-lingual, Queen's Commission: you'll be fine whatever your choices, just fine.