Future Officer?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Red_Troop, Sep 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before I go and watch the Champions League I wanted to say hi

I have been thinking about joing the army on and off for a while now. If I do decide to join I wish to join as an officer and enter either, REME, RE or RSigs.

I'm going to university in September 2009 and will join the UOTC.

I'm a little unsure as to join the army or police, so if anybody went through the same problem, I would be very grateful for your input.

Anyway, must dash, thanks guys

RT

(I posted this under the joinging section, but wondered if any officers could add some advice?)

2. Don't consider the police unless you fail your degree, are turned down by the Army and find yourself totally unemployable elsewhere.

Just a bit of unbiased advice there :)

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

4. Thanks for the quick reply,

I hope all 3 don't happen!

Why do you think the army is better than the police?

RT

5. Army and Police are completely different kettles of fish. Surely if you have done enough research to know 3 potential Corps to join, you know a bit about the army and how different it is to the Police.

Army Officer has no direct transfer to the Police - if you applied to Commission, then left and joined the police, you would still be a PC, albeit on graduate accelerated entry program.

Incidentally why those Corps choices?

6. My elder brother failed his Main Board after getting a Cat1 at Briefing. I think a Cat1 at the briefing stage and misplaced complacency are currently the main pre-requisites to joining the police. Incidentally, he now thoroughly enjoys his career.... in the police.

What do you call a clean shaven police woman?

C*ntstubble.

Ahh thang yew.

7. No you wouldn't - HPDS (if it's even running anymore) is assessed on a serparate assessment centre, after you get above a certain score on your initial assessment. Graduate or not. Why anyone would want to sign up to be a underpaid man manager for the governement i don't know. If you want to work in an office, go and work for Mega-TSB-Lloyds-glodal Inc and get a decent wage for doing paperwork.

As for which job... well Army officer is much better paid. But there is a huge list of benefits and negatives for each, and Army and Police will both bitch equally about their jobs and the state of the Reg/Force, because they've both been screwed royally by Labour.

Get a good look at both whilst at uni - join the TA, and the specials. You'll have time at uni to do both these things, and then you can decide for yourself. The jobs are quite different so you should be pulled one way or the other. My advice is to then go for that one and not just accept second best because you've failled selection for your first choice.

Both are rewarding careers but both come with more than their fare share of crap to suffer - more than any of your civvie mates will be able to comprehend. Make sure you pick right, I realise now that I haven't, becuse I had not researched my choice well enough from one side, and now regret it greatly becuase i'm now too old to change...

If you want help with the police side, give me a shout. For the army side, there are plenty of people on here with loads more recent and in depth experience than i could give you.

Shortty

8. Thanks, for the reply. I understand how the police and army are different, which is sort of what the problem! I could easily go both ways but sometimes I think 'Nah defo police!' then a while later I think 'but what about the army....?'

I have another 4 years at least before I apply (gap year then uni) and I'm going to join the UOTC so that should give me a good insight to army life.

I decided on RSigs, RE or REME becuase I want to learn a skill so if somethings happens and I have to leave I have skills to fall back on. I think it will also make the day to day life of being in the army more interesting.

9. [/quote] Both are rewarding careers but both come with more than their fare share of crap to suffer - more than any of your civvie mates will be able to comprehend. Make sure you pick right, I realise now that I haven't, becuse I had not researched my choice well enough from one side, and now regret it greatly becuase i'm now too old to change...

If you want help with the police side, give me a shout. For the army side, there are plenty of people on here with loads more recent and in depth experience than i could give you.

Shortty[/quote]

Thanks, I will make sure I reseach things well spend the next 3-4 years wislely!

10. Had the same thoughts myself at 17, not the Officer bit though. I joined RMP, initially for 3 years to get a bit of life before trying again for the plod. Spent 13 years in green and have completed 10 in blue. Army is best for mates and being single, plod is best for a laugh and being single (shift work takes a strong family) more people whinge in plod but the pay is better up to about Sgt/SSgt level.

To all you squaddies out there I was converted to the idea of VTs for the corp as no DE has the experience or knowledge to gain the respect of a soldier when dealing with them. Saying that 8 out of 10 dealings were with drunken mongs and prior experience would not have been respected anyhow.

Back to auntie stella......mmmmm

11. What degree do you intend to study?

With the choices of Corps that you have in mind, you should read for a technical degree (eg. Engineering)

12. Being a copper is a brilliant job though you'll not get an unbiased opinion on here (or anywhere else) about the police.

I did nine years in the army (R. SIGNALS) but did not apply for a commission so I cant advise you on how that might compare.

In the Army you are basically in a bubble, pretty insulated from the realities of life as 99% of the UK population experience it. Be prepared to live in a mess where rules like wearing black tie to your evening meal are non-negotiable.

As a police officer you have much more freedom to be yourself but be prepared for some serious bureaucracy and frustration with the criminal justice system. Make no mistake it is a challenging career if you are up to it.

Best of luck with whatever you choose but give it some thought before taking the plunge. They are very different jobs and it depends on what you are like as a person as to which is 'better'.

13. I want to study Geography. I know this is not a technical degree but the Army website says that:

I want to study Geography becuase I really enjoy it and it is academic subject which will look good on my CV.

I don't mind that sort of thing and shouldn't have a problem with living with rules like that. :eek:

14. Sorry forgot to say in the post above:

Thanks a lot for the replys it does help to have some advice from other people that are in the army/police! :D :D :D

15. What skills will you learn in any of your potential Regiments that will be useful if you need to leave? As an Officer, any Corps or Regiment, your first 4 years (roughly) is Troop Commanding. If you intend to use RE, REME or R SIGNALS to gain some sort of trade (chartered engineer or the like) then you will need a technical degree to start with - as far as I know from speaking to REME dudes - unsure of RE and R SIGS Officers aren't generally hands on - much like I don't load shells into AS90s.

You may be better off picking a Corps or Regiment you think you will enjoy, rather than trying to select one as it is "useful later". Likewise your degree - Geography? After a couple of years in the Army it won't matter what degree you did, so Geography wont look any better on your CV than anything else - it shows an aptitude to learn and study and plan your workload (assuming you get a decent grade!).

Have a think about a tech degree - I did Engineering because it interested me, that left options for "technical" Corps/Regiments as an Officer, but I chose RA because I was't sure I would be in the required length of time to take advantage of any technical quals in the Army (I think 6 years or more to gain chartered status in REME, not sure RE, don't even know if you can in SIGS).

that might be a bit jumbled, but I hope it adds some more weight to either option.