Future of F35 in doubt?

Well if he does, then I'm sure we can write the epitaph of US military superiority as we contemplate a strategic mistake on the scale of Brexit which will have repercussions for the US military and others for the next few decades.

Trump hints at CANCELLING F-35 saying he's asked Boeing to 'price-out a F18' | Daily Mail Online

God emperor Trump is considering an alternative to the F35, I just wondered how that would affect our country with our two future carriers.

Is it a tactic to force lockheed to give him a better deal? Or is the super hornet a viable alternative. ? He has already got boeing to lower the cost of the new air force 1.
No the Super Hornet is not a viable alternative since it requires catapults which the U.K. carriers do not have. And anyway it is not exactly the most up to date aircraft.

By the way I hope you die of colon cancer.

Edited to add - actually just please kill yourself, it'll save time.

Last edited:
No the Super Hornet is not a viable alternative since it requires catapults which the U.K. carriers do not have. And anyway it is not exactly the most up to date aircraft.
I think the point is the US does have catapults so it is a viable alternative for them only we are shafted.

No wait: what better way to keep Scotland in the union, we will have to convert the carriers. Ten more years work for the ship yard and at least a five year delay in actually having a working carrier.

I think the point is the US does have catapults so it is a viable alternative for them only we are shafted.

No wait: what better way to keep Scotland in the union, we will have to convert the carriers. Ten more years work for the ship yard and at least a five year delay in actually having a working carrier.
Not on their LHD/ LHA - which will embark USMC F35B** - that could prove interesting to say the least.

** Particuarly if the LHA as baby carriers to act where theres no CVN (possibly uninformed speculation) rumour is correct

Not on their LHD/ LHA - which will embark USMC F35B** - that could prove interesting to say the least.

** Particuarly if the LHA as baby carriers to act where theres no CVN (possibly uninformed speculation) rumour is correct
Reality check Trump will last 4 years, the Harriers are good until 2025 according to USMC publicity; but that might not stop MOD panicking within those 4 years and commencing conversion, particularly if there's a Scexit vote coming up.
Trump will be a really interesting exercise in how well the system can defeat/delay a rogue President. As the Chinese say "May you live in interesting times".

Surely Trump has got a Cold War to restart?

Surely Trump has got a Cold War to restart?
No - Trump wants a trade a war with China, his mate the energy secretary has too many shares in GazProm for a war with Russia. We will surrender the Balkans on Trump's watch unless we and the Poles decide otherwise, [maybe that makes it down to the Poles then].

It's only a viable alternative if the US military wants to take a step backwards. To say you can exchange it with an F-18 because it is also fitted for cat and traps is simplistic in the extreme.

As has been discussed, at length, in the F-35 thread, it (the F-35) is a complete step change in capability. It is far more about the sensors and network capability it can bring to the fight rather than purely the number of AMRAAMs and GBUs it can carry.

It would be interesting to see it pulled at this stage seeing as it is already in service.

I was at dinner in Pompey a couple of weeks ago with a mate who is on the HQ FLEET staff.

The "Cancellation of F35" rumour had just hit the streets then, and already the "Crabs having a quiet word in Trump's ear via Nigel Farage to cancel F35 and thereby shaft the Fleet Air Arm" conspiracies were being spun.

I despair.

Latest Threads