Future MBT capability

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hmmm......

There is always a balance to be struck between ' Nice to have' and 'how often would we use it?'...

I think it's Danish Army Leopard II ...good to see the safety boat is stood to !

Last edited:
Hmmm......

There is always a balance to be struck between ' Nice to have' and 'how often would we use it?'...

I think it's Danish Army Leopard II ...good to see the safety boat is stood to !
Given the weight of modern MBTs and, I suspect, the lack of suitable big bridges in some of the Eastern NATO members I think this is a very sound idea. Add one tick to the list 'buy German' for our next MBT.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Training for Unternehmen Seelöwe II?
A replay of the Battle of Stamford Bridge possibly, being Danes, albeit in an honest Panzer.

This year is the twentieth anniversary of the Challenger II entering service with the British Army.

IHS Jane's 360 reported on 20 September 2015 that following discussions with Senior Army Officers and Procurement Officials at DSEI 2015, as well as the head of the British Army, General Sir Nick Carter, that the British Army was looking at either upgrading the Challenger 2 or outright replacing it. Sources confirmed that the future of the MBT was being considered at the highest levels of the Army. This stemmed from the British Army's concern with the new Russian T-14 Armata main battle tank and the growing ineffectiveness of the aging L30 rifled gun and its limited suite of ammunition. Further, it was confirmed that numerous armoured vehicle manufacturers had discussions with the MoD about a potential replacement for the Challenger 2.[18] Shortly after, the British Army decided that purchasing a new tank would be too expensive and chose to proceed with a Challenger 2 life extension project (LEP).[19] It is expected to remain in service until 2025.[20] Maintenance and overhaul of the Challenger 2's is currently undertaken by Babcock Defence Support Group, and design authority for the tank is held by BAE Systems.[21][22]

I always find the armoured debate interesting, because its often predicated on an assumption that airpower will remain inviolate. for ever... If modern technology reaches the stage where aircraft, even unmanned ones survivability is measured in seconds and are reduced to even longer ranged stand off weapons in a pop up and fire way... Then suddenly a mobile platform on the ground on the edge of battle becomes the best option to effect a breakthrough and particularly the exploitation.

Hmmm......

F*** being the driver. Not much chance to get out if that thing decides to take on water...

Then we lose......

Point being, we may not be embroiled in the next european war. It will most likely be an internal civil war within the EU and non of our concern
Sorry you are NATO members, just pony up the money so you continue to have armour.
You need at least three brigades worth.

I suspect our future MBT capability is under the care of the Tank Museum at Bovington, given how few we have left.
A long time back I pointed out to one of our PSIs that the way things were going 3RTR and 2RTR amalgamating that the logical conclusion would be losing the second 'R' and just having:

'The Royal Tank'

He was only a little bit amused.

Latest Threads