Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future/ life as a para

That sounds like a decent start, hopefully get myself a decent burgen from stores. Luckily I've done abit of tabbing

Could I add to his advice:

A lad who worked for me went off for selection for one of the top 3 units: The first activity on day one was a BFT to assess minimum level of fitness. The PTI thought it might be good if they did a BFT as a warm up first though, and after the BFT itself finish off with another as a warm down. More to piss people off than anything I think.

I know for a fact that to get onto selection with my local, back then it was TA, Sqn one had to do an 8 mile run in under an hour. The back marker DS ran the route at the minimum required pace and you had to finish before him.

Things change, but it will give you an idea.

Doug99

Swinger
The thing with Para Reg you will be on the recruits course with the others lads on day 1, week 1. Recruits pay. This is great for lads coming in straight from civilian life for a career in the Parachute Regiment.

As a Special Forces Communicator you would keep the pay band you are on now and if you pass you will get SF Communicators pay. You will probably make good use of your existing skills while doing more physically active warie stuff.

As it is tri-service the RAF would be unlikely to block it and the best part is that if you decide that being cold, wet, hungry, thirsty and absolutely chin strapped all the time gets too much and you pine for those five star hotels with room service. you can always go back to the RAF with no loss of rank and pay.

Good luck with whatever you do.

PS. Being a slob is not all bad. I love it now I am retired. Not when you are only 21 though.

Could I add to his advice:

A lad who worked for me went off for selection for one of the top 3 units: The first activity on day one was a BFT to assess minimum level of fitness. The PTI thought it might be good if they did a BFT as a warm up first though, and after the BFT itself finish off with another as a warm down. More to piss people off than anything I think.

I know for a fact that to get onto selection with my local, back then it was TA, Sqn one had to do an 8 mile run in under an hour. The back marker DS ran the route at the minimum required pace and you had to finish before him.

Things change, but it will give you an idea.
Tough going that to be honest, my PFA time is well under p company minimum but three is a challenge, 8 mile I imagine I'd be alright at too. Do feel like I'd be a long way behind the army with tabbing though

Tough going that to be honest, my PFA time is well under p company minimum but three is a challenge, 8 mile I imagine I'd be alright at too. Do feel like I'd be a long way behind the army with tabbing though
You don't have to be fit enough from day 1. You need to gradually build up your fitnesses to avoid injuries. I would set my self a minimun of six months preparation. Probably a year is best. You are only 21 so you have plenty of time. It is not going to go away. Enjoy the rest of your Cyprus posting, as you probably won't get another one. Improve your general aerobic and strengh fitness first before you start to do any bergen work. Building up your mental resilence is just as important.

Speak to your local PTI's and tell them of your plans and get a proper training programme. Join an orienteering club if there is one near you to practice your map reading. It will pay dividends later. Make friends with your local Rock apes and ask them if you can go on a few range days with them. You will probably have to do it on your days off but it will show committment and keep your workplace happy and stop people whinging about you getting time off.

Up the bergen training and tabbing a few months before you start the course and wind it down two weeks before so you start fresh and not tired. Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance, so they say.

QRK2

LE
Whilst the above is not bad advice, take it stage by stage. You do not have to be superman (or indeed woman) for the BAC, and you certainly don't need a year to prep for it.

Do beware of stories from the over 40s (or indeed over 60s), things change.

Nothing to stop you doing some tabbing training in your free time.

Doug99

Swinger
You don't have to be fit enough from day 1. You need to gradually build up your fitnesses to avoid injuries. I would set my self a minimun of six months preparation. Probably a year is best. You are only 21 so you have plenty of time. It is not going to go away. Enjoy the rest of your Cyprus posting, as you probably won't get another one. Improve your general aerobic and strengh fitness first before you start to do any bergen work. Building up your mental resilence is just as important.

Speak to your local PTI's and tell them of your plans and get a proper training programme. Join an orienteering club if there is one near you to practice your map reading. It will pay dividends later. Make friends with your local Rock apes and ask them if you can go on a few range days with them. You will probably have to do it on your days off but it will show committment and keep your workplace happy and stop people whinging about you getting time off.

Up the bergen training and tabbing a few months before you start the course and wind it down two weeks before so you start fresh and not tired. Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance, so they say.
Thanks for the advice mate!

Doug99

Swinger
Whilst the above is not bad advice, take it stage by stage. You do not have to be superman (or indeed woman) for the BAC, and you certainly don't need a year to prep for it.

Do beware of stories from the over 40s (or indeed over 60s), things change.
Yeah that's true, think I'm doubting my ability abit to be honest, but I've got 2 -3 years to prep, just need to make sure I don't cripple my knees

What he said.

Push it too hard and you will pick up injuries, sprains, micro-muscle tears and the like which can then become a big problem when you least want it. Everyone I knew who went for selection, a few successful, others not, spent 12 months getting ready.

Orienteering is great, maps are slightly different, but they get you used to looking at the lay of the land and using a compass to find your way. Get some swimming in too, it is good for all around fitness, join a club so that they push you a little rather than slowly swimming lengths with the ladies.

All this talk of fitness, I bumped into this earlier today:

And what is wrong with that as long as you don't get arrested!

;) That would be the problem.

But then all the swimmer wimmin at my fitness club are dollops. The fit wimmin do the Peloton cycle thing and cardio workouts.

Then I refer you to my post above. I understand it’s that time of the year and lots are thinking “OMG, what have I done!”.
Unlike a million of other people, you are in the forces. Now focus.
You have a lot of people to help you realise your ambition. But you don‘t have one. You need one, soon.
Get the focus.
This advice comes from a bloke who served in the 1990s. Where just turning up for work was enough
What he said, but I served in the very late 70s/80s/early 90s and turning up for work drunk was enough.

;) That would be the problem.

But then all the swimmer wimmin at my fitness club are dollops. The fit wimmin do the Peloton cycle thing and cardio workouts.
Yes but the chubby chicks are easier for us older chaps to catch. The cold war took its toll you know.

Hi all,

I'm 21, fairly fit just looking for more of a challenge? Any help is welcome

Cheers
I have a question followed by a suggestion.

Q - How long have you been in service life to date?

S - As a 21 yr. old I'd suggest you think more about signing off. Get yourself out to France and sign up for the Foreign Legion on a 5-year contract. You'll be still young enough to return to UK Forces and continue with a career, should military life still appeal.

arcticfox042

War Hero
I think you will find that the Pathfinders chill their chardonnay to the incorrect temperature, it will not be to your liking........

Last edited:

Latest Threads