Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future/ life as a para

Rooper

War Hero
People can slate him all they want but I'm pretty sure his gongs will do the talking when on display
All campaign medals show is that you was in theatre; they can’t speak for your actions, your character or your integrity!

Thanks for replies all, think I'll start doing some weighted runs and up the Cardio alot, wait out a year and use the Lao to cushion the pay cut?
Purely out of interest what’s your trade/role?

Depends what you want out of life; 9 to 5, get home evenings, slippers on, watch the telly. Or, have days of repetitive training, interjected with moments, or days, of adrenaline filled terror, action, and excitement, good mates, a bond for a lifetime, along with memories an experiences that money cannot buy.

You know the score, get off your arrse, get fit, have a think, if you still want to move over see if you can do an inter-service transfer, if not, jack it and re-join. Or, you could give special duties a go, don't waste their time turning up as an unfit tosser though.

My nephew was a para, did selection, twice. Failed it the first time, went back at 29 and tried again, successfully, he has had the most amazing career since then.

If you want a good indication of what being special takes have a read of this book, yours for a fiver on @mazon:

Maverick One: The True Story of a Para, Pathfinder, Renegade.​

Author: David Blakeley
I loved one of the Amazon reviews on his other book: 'Some poor tree gave its life for this rubbish.'

I loved one of the Amazon reviews on his other book: 'Some poor tree gave its life for this rubbish.'

What was it with him, was he up himself, or something? I genuinely had the impression he was a good bloke. With military bio-books you expect a bit of dramatic licence so that was expected.

I'm working in Intelligence
You will probably find that the RAF wont let you transfer in that case. You could always contact RHQ The Parachute Regiment. Merville Barracks, Circular Road South, Colchester. CO2 7UT. Speak to them in person. I don't know the email address, sorry.

As a thought why dont you go for 18 UKSF Signal Regiment. It is open to all applicants from all three services and offers a career path from Signaller to WO1 according to the recruiting blurb. You don't need to be R Sigs and it might make more use of your talents and give you the challenge you are looking for.

Last edited:

Doug99

Swinger
You will probably find that the RAF wont let you transfer in that case. You could always contact RHQ The Parachute Regiment. Merville Barracks, Circular Road South, Colchester. CO2 7UT. Speak to them in person. I don't know the email address, sorry.

As a thought why dont you go for 18 UKSF Signal Regiment. It is open to all applicants from all three services and offers a career path from Signaller to WO1 according to the recruiting blurb. You don't need to be R Sigs and it might make more use of your talents and give you the challenge you are looking for.
Do you reckon? Would be a shame if they didn't but thanks for the info! I work with afew ex SF signallers, the job sounds very interesting. I just wish the selection wasn't the hardest job interview in the world haha. I've also considered HUMint as our trade likes to get pushed towards that role

QRK2

LE
Do you reckon? Would be a shame if they didn't but thanks for the info! I work with afew ex SF signallers, the job sounds very interesting. I just wish the selection wasn't the hardest job interview in the world haha. I've also considered HUMint as our trade likes to get pushed towards that role
Give SFC a shot, get up to speed for the Briefing and Assessment Course (BAC) for starters, which you have to do anyway and will give you a look at options across the SF Group.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Go onto MoDNet and type ‘UKSF recruiting’ into search. Click on ‘UKSF recruiting’ and it’ll give an overview including the Briefing Assessment Course (BAC) [as mentioned above] application form which has the dates it is running this year.

There’s a link to the latest DIN and a video on the BAC plus medical requirements etc. Gives an idea and as above it’s tri-service.

You can obviously go the Op Samson route. It’s open source on the name and typing the name into MoDNet will take you to the DHU page and how to apply.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.

Doug99

Swinger
Go onto MoDNet and type ‘UKSF recruiting’ into search. Click on ‘UKSF recruiting’ and it’ll give an overview including the Briefing Assessment Course (BAC) [as mentioned above] application form which has the dates it is running this year.

There’s a link to the latest DIN and a video on the BAC plus medical requirements etc. Gives an idea and as above it’s tri-service.

You can obviously go the Op Samson route. It’s open source on the name and typing the name into MoDNet will take you to the DHU page and how to apply.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.
Thanks for that mate, gonna speak to my CoC and ask about paras, SF and Sampson. SF is a massive gap and I'll need to do some proper graft to even stand a chance

QRK2

LE
SF is a massive gap and I'll need to do some proper graft to even stand a chance

Don't psych yourself out, if you seriously are considering Para Regt, SFC is not a totally different effort and your previous might be of more help there, once you get over the initial hurdle.

Thanks for that mate, gonna speak to my CoC and ask about paras, SF and Sampson. SF is a massive gap and I'll need to do some proper graft to even stand a chance
The BAC will give you an idea. SF Communicator and SF Medic do a different course to 22, SBS or SRR. I’d recommend going for the BAC and your feedback from the instructors will give you an idea where you are and what you need to do.

As @QRK2 says, don’t let it psyche you out.

Doug99

Swinger
Don't psych yourself out, if you seriously are considering Para Regt, SFC is not a totally different effort and your previous might be of more help there, once you get over the initial hurdle.
Ah tbh I assumed the course was the same as the SAS/B. Ill have a chat with the bloke who was SF , he did do it years ago mind. Whatever I do I need to do while I'm young or ivr got no chance

QRK2

LE
Ah tbh I assumed the course was the same as the SAS/B. Ill have a chat with the bloke who was SF , he did do it years ago mind. Whatever I do I need to do while I'm young or ivr got no chance

Too right, get yourself fit enough for the BAC and take it from there. Good target to set yourself: 8miles 25kg, 2 miles 20 kg, then 1.5 miles no weight. Done without pause, one might say back to back. I'll leave you to decide a decent time.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
(snip)

If you want a good indication of what being special takes have a read of this book, yours for a fiver on @mazon:

Maverick One: The True Story of a Para, Pathfinder, Renegade.​

Author: David Blakeley

I was more impressed by Mike Golden's "I stood in the door - one man's fight to sign on".

Doug99

Swinger
Too right, get yourself fit enough for the BAC and take it from there. Good target to set yourself: 8miles 25kg, 2 miles 20 kg, then 1.5 miles no weight. Done without pause, one might say back to back. I'll leave you to decide a decent time.
That sounds like a decent start, hopefully get myself a decent burgen from stores. Luckily I've done abit of tabbing

The thing with Para Reg you will be on the recruits course with the others lads on day 1, week 1. Recruits pay. This is great for lads coming in straight from civilian life for a career in the Parachute Regiment.

As a Special Forces Communicator you would keep the pay band you are on now and if you pass you will get SF Communicators pay. You will probably make good use of your existing skills while doing more physically active warie stuff.

As it is tri-service the RAF would be unlikely to block it and the best part is that if you decide that being cold, wet, hungry, thirsty and absolutely chin strapped all the time gets too much and you pine for those five star hotels with room service. you can always go back to the RAF with no loss of rank and pay.

Good luck with whatever you do.

PS. Being a slob is not all bad. I love it now I am retired. Not when you are only 21 though.

Last edited:

Latest Threads