Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future/ life as a para

Doug99

Swinger
Hi all,

I've realised in getting way too comfortable in life, I'm currently a crab permanently posted to Cyprus working 4 on 4 off, chinning Phys off and being a slob. After talking with several paras and doing some research I was thinking of giving it up and joining the paras. I've heard some stories about day to day in the infantry so I was wondering what the day to day is, and how achievable things like pathfinder etc are to join. I'm 21, fairly fit just looking for more of a challenge? Any help is welcome

Cheers

Hi all,

I've realised in getting way too comfortable in life, I'm currently a crab permanently posted to Cyprus working 4 on 4 off, chinning Phys off and being a slob. After talking with several paras and doing some research I was thinking of giving it up and joining the paras. I've heard some stories about day to day in the infantry so I was wondering what the day to day is, and how achievable things like pathfinder etc are to join. I'm 21, fairly fit just looking for more of a challenge? Any help is welcome

Cheers
Sounds like you are “chinning phys off and being a slob”.
Stay in the RAF. That’s where you belong, if they will have you. I have friends who have served 20+ years in the RAF in what many would call cushy jobs.
Try and push yourself in your current role. You lazy twunt.

Hi all,

Cheers
If your RAF reg I'm pretty sure ex or current serving paras let alone Infantry bods will tell you it's basically the same as being a rockape... but the opposite

I'm not a rockape
Ok, my question to you now is, what salary band are you on NOW and what do you expect to be on as a fresh tom should you qualify for the maroon lid?

I'm not expert but you do realise that Pathfinder platoon by their nature you are expected to do a good few years in the Parachute Reg itself?

I might be wrong but are they not integrated into 1 Para ORBAT?

Last edited:
I'm not a rockape
Then I refer you to my post above. I understand it’s that time of the year and lots are thinking “OMG, what have I done!”.
Unlike a million of other people, you are in the forces. Now focus.
You have a lot of people to help you realise your ambition. But you don‘t have one. You need one, soon.
Get the focus.
This advice comes from a bloke who served in the 1990s. Where just turning up for work was enough

Then I refer you to my post above. I understand it’s that time of the year and lots are thinking “OMG, what have I done!”.
You have a lot of people to help you realise your ambition. But you don‘t have one. You need one, soon.
Get the focus.
This advice comes from a bloke who served in the 1990s. Where just turning up for work was enough
It's MUCH safer as well

Faded

Old-Salt
If you want it then go for it, I took a risk and completely changed careers and whilst the grass isn't always greener it was in this case.

If it doesn’t work out for whatever reason then at least you gave it a go. You’ll only regret the things you don’t try.

(most of the time anyway)

If you want it then go for it, I took a risk and completely changed careers and whilst the grass isn't always greener it was in this case.

If it doesn’t work out for whatever reason then at least you gave it a go. You’ll only regret the things you don’t try.

(most of the time anyway)
Plus he can remove the shame of telling people in a pub he serves in the RAF

Get the focus.
And turning up sober was a bonus.

Become a Rockape and join the REAL 2 PARA.

You'll need a good cover story to tell your civvie mates, though.

Saying you're a piano player in a whorehouse would help spare your embarrassment.

Depends what you want out of life; 9 to 5, get home evenings, slippers on, watch the telly. Or, have days of repetitive training, interjected with moments, or days, of adrenaline filled terror, action, and excitement, good mates, a bond for a lifetime, along with memories an experiences that money cannot buy.

You know the score, get off your arrse, get fit, have a think, if you still want to move over see if you can do an inter-service transfer, if not, jack it and re-join. Or, you could give special duties a go, don't waste their time turning up as an unfit tosser though.

My nephew was a para, did selection, twice. Failed it the first time, went back at 29 and tried again, successfully, he has had the most amazing career since then.

If you want a good indication of what being special takes have a read of this book, yours for a fiver on @mazon:

Maverick One: The True Story of a Para, Pathfinder, Renegade.​

Author: David Blakeley

Rooper

War Hero
Depends what you want out of life; 9 to 5, get home evenings, slippers on, watch the telly. Or, have days of repetitive training, interjected with moments, or days, of adrenaline filled terror, action, and excitement, good mates, a bond for a lifetime, along with memories an experiences that money cannot buy.

You know the score, get off your arrse, get fit, have a think, if you still want to move over see if you can do an inter-service transfer, if not, jack it and re-join. Or, you could give special duties a go, don't waste their time turning up as an unfit tosser though.

My nephew was a para, did selection, twice. Failed it the first time, went back at 29 and tried again, successfully, he has had the most amazing career since then.

If you want a good indication of what being special takes have a read of this book, yours for a fiver on @mazon:

Maverick One: The True Story of a Para, Pathfinder, Renegade.​

Author: David Blakeley
FFS if you want to know what Para Regt or Pathfinders are like don’t listen to a thing Bluffer Blackley says!

Doug99

Swinger
Thanks for replies all, think I'll start doing some weighted runs and up the Cardio alot, wait out a year and use the Lao to cushion the pay cut?

FFS if you want to know what Para Regt or Pathfinders are like don’t listen to a thing Bluffer Blackley says!

There was me thinking he was quite well thought of. He had some good comments on here.

I might be wrong but are they not integrated into 1 Para ORBAT?
No, they are part of 16 AA Brigade orbat stationed at Colchester. They come under the operational control of HQ 16 AA Brigade. Pathfinder selection is open to anyone in the army. Don't know about the RAF or RN though. There was an article about them in Decembers soldier magazine. Page 35 onwards.

Pathfinders

Hi all,

Cheers
What is your current trade in the RAF?

Latest Threads