Future.......... Future Retirement Plans

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by DesktopCommando, Aug 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im looking far into the future (9 years, hopefully without SDR round the corner) for when I retire, and considering moving to Spain, which I intend to do, but am now thinking, instead of buying a house in a few years, save up and buy a leasehold on a bar and do cocktails & snacks (tapas).

So I am looking at doing course's now, Ive come up with a few Idea's to help me get started, even thou I'll have to do the Spainish Equivalent and Im after pointers in that direction.

But for expericence and to make sure Im not going into it blind, Ive looked at a few courses.

Bar Work

National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH) Level 2 (Between £135-175, depending on School)
    NCPLH Training & Courses, National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders - CPL Training

Bar Level 1 Certificate - United Kingdom Bartenders Guild (£250 & membership of the IBA (not that one))
    Bar Level 1 Certificate Hammersmith And Fulham at United Kingdom Bartenders Guild: all Bar Level 1 Certificate courses 22567880

Bar Level 2 Certificate - United Kingdom Bartenders Guild (£400 & Membership of IBA)
    Bar Level 2 Certificate Hammersmith And Fulham at United Kingdom Bartenders Guild: all Bar Level 2 Certificate courses 22567881

Bar Cocktail Training London South of England UKBG

Also with CO's permission to get a part time job in evenings and weekend serving behind a public bar

Working with Food

Level 2 Award in Food Safety (£60 ish)
    Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering - Simply Training and Development

Go on various Tapas cookery courses, and also learn Spainish & :) just after the feel of other choices and to ask others if this is a right direction to go.

DTC

2. Nice one DesktopCommando - 9 years to go! Well it's never too early to start getting ready for that big transition. The more avenues you open up into civilian life the easier it will be to mentally adjust to being a civilian but without neglecting all the skills, knowledge and attitudes that have helped you 'get on' in the ?Army? The more experience you can get whilst you're still serving will provide you with a wealth of opportunities to make mistakes and learn how to dig your way out - before its YOUR business and YOUR money.
    good luck and every success with your studies and then---into the future.

3. Find out if you have government training centres nearby - I did two small business courses, more relevant to the UK but invaluable due to the people I met and the mistakes they had learned to overcome. £35 for two days, subsidised even though I was earning my day job wages. Good quality visiting speakers as well, much of the knowledge is transferable