Future for the over 50 NCO...

Given that the over 50s cannot be deployed ( except for specailist roles eg, med ) what future is there for the over 50s?

Will there be a cull of wrinklies?

And why should Officers be allowed to deploy up to age 55? Are they by virtue of their Commission somehow more robust and hardy?

If someone can't be deployed, for whatever reason, they should be binned.

They can always take up "military modelling" or somesuch.

Smudger

You've not answered the question.

Its a serious issue, any chance of a serious answer for once?

Hey, we've a bloke over 50 who is a cvrt crew commander on herrick at the mo

Smudger

You've not answered the question.

Its a serious issue, any chance of a serious answer for once?
My serious answer is, if they can't be deployed, why have them? Bin them.

Going back to the bin-man analogy, what if the driver was over 50, and able to drive the wagon, but the guy emptying the bins got injured, the guy that was over 50 can't replace the injured guy, as he's to old to do the job well enough.

What stops a bloke over 50 being deployed?
I know several who are plenty fit enough, but most alas are not.

More to the point, why do the over 50s insist on staying in and blocking PIDs? When I get to that age I wont want to be racing home on a friday night to get to TA.

There is no will to deploy them on current ops.

Presumably they would be deployable for UK ops, or in event of a large scale call up for a national emergency.

Understand that there is also no will to call up students or single parents in current circumstances. This would also change in event of emergency.

Main role for over 50s should be enablers, and they shouldn't be holding up the young guns for promotion.

Hey, we've a bloke over 50 who is a cvrt crew commander on herrick at the mo
It will be his last hurrah. I've a mate who is pushing 57 and he won't be getting another chance either. Tough titty I'm afraid.

So, what do the over 50s bring to the party that is so vital? That's right, unless ex-reg probably **** all apart from a few dits of camp in the Fatherland waiting for 3rd shock army.

Move on. No? Fine CFTs till they fail one, warned about fitness, binned.

BTW they should kiss their bounties goodbye as well.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
As long as they're not fat they should be fine. If they're fat Stacker1 will be upset...

Given that the over 50s cannot be deployed ( except for specailist roles eg, med ) what future is there for the over 50s?

Will there be a cull of wrinklies?

And why should Officers be allowed to deploy up to age 55? Are they by virtue of their Commission somehow more robust and hardy?

FFS! Aren't officers over fifty years old generally in more sedentary roles than NCOs?

I wish the over Fifty would move to one side and allow some younger enablers to gain some experience :)

What stops a bloke over 50 being deployed?
I personally feel that the MoD PR machine is at fault for this one. People don't want to read about a 50+yr old being killed. Many civvies see war as a young mans game (it is to an extent), and it's more acceptable for younger men to die, than crusties.

TA and mobilised early 2009 and deployed almost immediately and remained deployed on Herrick till March this year, now about to deploy again but guess what APC find out I'm nearly 55 and have a hissy fit. Upshot is that when I get back next year I'm no longer needed. Question is, do I really have nothing to offer? Smudge67er according to you I suppose I should be taken out and shot as a waste of space.

If non-deployable TA members (regardless of age or rank) have sufficient experience and qualifications in order to teach the required MATTs and pass on knowledge to others that will in turn help them on their deployment then I see no reason why they should be kicked out.

However, non-deployable members who have no such benefits should be shown the door.

With regards to the bounty, it depends what it is intended for. If it's for rewarding those who have passed their MATTs, with the intention of making them operational, then they shouldn't be entitled to it. If it's for rewarding those who have made the necessary commitment, then let them have it.

The rules on age are now that soldiers can be signed on to age 55. Given current employment practices and pension ages going up etc, this isn't going to go back downwards.

Most Units are understrength. The oldnbold tend to be the more reliable attenders.

If the individual is medically fit, and useful to the Unit, no Unit is going to seek to get rid. But the career management has to be considered as they probably won't be eligible for promotion, and shouldn't hold others up.

One option is to allow them to drop rank.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nikolai1989 Sappers 44
Nikolai1989 Aviation 62
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 33