Future AAC NCO or AAC Officer?

S

Screw_The_Nut

As above - I'm applying for MacDonalds food technician, but I want to be the CEO of CokaCola. Slight reality disconnect.

PS. As your vocab extends to over 10 words, why on earth are you applying to be a chef?

Oh ok. I honestly never believed what I am hoping for was as improbable or outlandish as your allusions would make them seem. Point humbly taken however. Given such responses, can you recommend and amendments which would see me possibly me possibly achieving an opportunity to be an AAC pilot? Also, in regards to why a chef, most of the other areas that I am intellectually and skilled suited for, because of residency issues, I have been deemed ineligible at least until for the next four years so in truth I have no ambition of making army chef being my end all and be all though this should not be taken to mean I devalue being a chef by any stretch of the imagination as I indeed do enjoy cooking so I expect i will have a good run of it while waiting for my residency situation to square itself away so that I can become eligible to be better utilized by other areas of the army. Still, tangent of why chef choice aside, I return to my initial question then, what feasible amendments to my aspirations can you recommend? Cheers in advance for any and all responses.

Makes a change to the "I'm thinking of joining the RMP as an officer but Paras are my second choice" threads.

S

Screw_The_Nut

Fair one, if residency is the issue. Carry on, just put all your energies into your professional work and get to the dizzy rank of Corporal as soon as you can. As soon as you achieve it, apply for Pilot training with the AAC. There is a multitude of tests and inteviews - so you'll have to be squared away and on the ball to pass. But if it's what you really want to do, it's achievable.

If I keep my nose clean, do as I'm told and get good reports each year, do you think its possible to achieve the rank of Corporal in at least 5 yrs as a chef in the RLC?

Why on earth are you asking people in the Sappers forum about promotion prospects in the RLC? Go and ask the useless wastes of space that you'd like to become, they have a completely different way of promoting than we do. We don't do Masterchef style cook offs to get our stripes.

Can you somehow film some of the treatment you get during basic? Both from the nco's and the other lads in your troop once you've given them your high and mighty spiel about what you want to do.

Bit of advice, the army you think your joining will all seem completely different once your in. You probably won't be as good as you think you are, and don't bowl up to your troopy and tell him to rip up his career planner for you, you'll look like a complete ****.

Thanks for the advice swamped. Wish you all the best with your life's endeavors as well. Cheers.

get a ppl in both fixed wing & rotary whilst learning to be a chef.
then apply to AAC, this may help you, but why not join AAC as a trooper?
chef to pilot seems a strange method to go down?

C

cloudbuster

get a ppl in both fixed wing & rotary whilst learning to be a chef.
then apply to AAC, this may help you, but why not join AAC as a trooper?
chef to pilot seems a strange method to go down?
Or, save your money, as having a PPL is less useful than being a qualified cabbage-handler. As has been pointed-out on other threads re; joining the AAC with a plan to try to become a Pilot, if you've got the ability, the system will find out, regardless of your current trade. Having a 'teeth arm' background helps.

S

Screw_The_Nut

I was also going to mention that - if you are under trade restrictions consider infantry rather than chef. If you are going to be a gunship pilot I'm sure the AAC will want to know you have something about you, and not your soup stirring skills either!

C

cloudbuster

I was also going to mention that - if you are under trade restrictions consider infantry rather than chef. If you are going to be a gunship pilot I'm sure the AAC will want to know you have something about you, and not your soup stirring skills either!
Could be handy on a Lynx 9 Squadron.

Thanks a lot for all the replies thus far. In an attempt to give as comprehensive an answer as possible to the aforementioned suggestions, I should note that I had considered going the infantry route but was informed that considering the matter that I would need to have achieved the rank of corporal or at least be recommended to be given such rank, then it would be tricky to go the infantry route as achieving such a rank in infantry can easily take even a decade for many persons. That being said, I figured I would go for an area that hopefully would have had a faster promotion prospect, among other things such as having civvie life job prospects, and most importantly as I am 23, I am trying to beat the ever moving foe of time as with AAC pilot there is an age limit of 29 or 30 I believe *any direct clarification on specific cut off age would be most appreciated*. As such, given the multiplicity of these factors, hence my choice. Is it feasible for me to achieve the rank of corporal in 4-6 years so I may be eligible tho...or is that wishful thinking?

The AAC website says you must be on the Pilots course before the age of 30. Mind you, the Army chef's bit of the same website says Dishing up delicious meals in any location so they could be lying as well.
Can't see a chef being promoted that quickly, to be honest. Why not try one of the Corps that has quicker promotion? Although I can't see any of them being too happy to train you, promote you and then lose you. Surely AAC groundcrew would be a quicker way as I'm pretty sure many of them go on to be pilots if they show the aptitude and the AAC would still be keeping you. I also remember the TV programme some years back about helicopter pilots and it was a bit, shall we say, difficult. The failure rate was pretty high ISTR.

I am quite aware of the fact that the course is indeed quite challenging, but I have never been one to be put off by a challenge so for me, its better to have tried and failed than to have been left wondering what if because i never had the courage to try it. As to your question about why I never joined the AAC, the fact of the matter is that i was informed that the training slots for the other areas of the AAC have been totally filled for at least until mid next year. Thus, circumstances would not permit such a long wait which could end up lengthening as over that time, persons could complete ADSC, get a better grade and thereby get the slot I was waiting on for that long period. Quite sad to hear that promotion prospects for RLC chef is not that speedy. So based on that alone my dreams might be killed then? Ok, so trying to get around that issue, do you believe it is feasible that I could do like four years, and if my yearly reports are good and I keep my nose clean, I could possibly seeking a DE commission from within the ranks to the AAC? Or should I take it as nothing more than some wives' tales that the recruiters have fed me so as to get me to sign on the dotted line and keep me wanting to join the army?

S

Screw_The_Nut

It's all about luck - being in the right place at the right time. I know of 6 year corporals, but then again I know 18 year Lance Corporals... Determination and sheer will power does help in most cases too, so do aim for your goal and give it your best shot. I'm thinking infantry is still the best way foward. Who knows you might get in, and your priorities change entirely, you might even be more than happy to stay where you are!

Going down the DE selection route from the ranks is extremely difficult. In my time, I only met 3 or 4 who were picked up for commissioning after doing several years in the ranks. Others selected were chosen as Potential Officers during basic training (and not many of them). Your annual reports would have to be more than good, they would have to be spectacular. Not wishing to rain on your parade but if you can't get in as an officer to start with, you will find it virtually impossible from the ranks unless you are a natural born leader. The technical corps', Int Corps and others are full of soldier with decent degrees (not that having a degree shows natural leadership) who haven't been picked up so bear in mind the competition you would have to face.

Ok, point duly noted Screw the Nut. Well I have been told by many persons in service that moving up the ranks is like playing a game of chess - knowing when and where to see an opportunity for progression and assessing if it would be operationally viable to capitalize on it, or let it go by and wait for a larger one to come by. So I will just have to take things in ebbs and flows. As to your point exbleep, duly noted as well. I'm quite aware that DE commissioning from the ranks is indeed an arduous task. As to the point you made about not having commissioned to start with, unfortunately, its due to my citizen status why I was not allowed to seek a commission as I have to be in the UK for atleast 5 years before I can seek to commission, as such, once I have met that then I shall be hoping to attempt it. Point taken as well about intelligence not equating to great leadership, and that point is made all too clear by the economic crises the world is in as we arguably have some of the greatest business and political minds to have ever lived currently at the head of world politics and world economics and yet look at the crap hole we have found ourselves in economically. However though, I've been leading from as early as pre-school *long story to explain* and thus I do believe that I have the leadership capabilities to make a great officer for I have lead on the world stage in various platforms so I am just hoping to have my chance to prove that I indeed can be a great officer.

All in all, quite grateful for responses thus far. Any other viewpoints or possible solutions would be most appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nikolai1989 Sappers 44
B Aviation 59
B Aviation 41