Futurama v The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by dumbstruck, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I watched both Futurama and The Simpsons (not at the same time) and I wondered which one people thought is better. Futurama seems to cater for the older generation and The Simpsons, although very funny seems to be aimed at the younger viewer.

2. Both are genius in my opinion, you can see from my avatar and sig block I like futurama, but The Simpsons just has so many classic episodes and characters, such as the Monorail episode ('Is there a chance the track could bend? not on your life, my hindu friend!'), Mr Burns , Ralph, Professor Frink, Lenny & Carl, Kang & Kodos. I don't really agree that the Simpsons is aimed at a younger audience then futurama, a lot of the more obscure references to politics in The Simpsons go right over most kids heads! Thats the appeal though, kids can laugh at Bart & homer playing up whilst theres clever stuff round the edges. Futurama was also genius, but its problem was that the supporting characters were actually better then fry & leela , its Zoidberg, Morbo the News Monster, Professor Farnsworth, Richard Nixon's head and Zapp brannigan who were the real stars of that show. I gotta say Simpsons has declined over the past couple of years, and the feature-length Futuramas they did just weren't funny though...

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Excuse me . . . . . . . . Family Guy? You forgot to mention the main attraction!

4. Have you seen the Cartoon Wars episode of South Park, Biped ;-)?

5. Both utter shite

6. Got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning Jagman?

7. Glad that you mentioned that. I didn't wish to take their thread off route. FG is extreme in it's plot lines, almost on a par with the 'Father Ted' series, and seriously funny to boot.

8. Very true, although I'm surprised an old Spook like you did'nt mention American Dad! :D

Where else could you hear the voice of Captain Picard and Prof. Xavier say things like:

"Ah, Smith; while I was looking at the back of your daughter's head last night I thought of something..." :lol:

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Forgot all about American Dad!!!! Yes, two of the best cartoons ever.

10. I love the changing headlines on the paper Stan picks up every morning. For example:

ISRAEL PULLS OUT OF GAZA!

Gaza Not Pregnant.

11. Smithers to Mr Burns standing on a dockside talking about Burns's only love that ran away to sea (i think)..."I always said seamen and women don't mix, sir"......genius.

12. Has anyone watched the life and times of Tim on Virgin 1 Tuesday nights 10pm ( for new episodes), very funny, easily up there with Family Guy

13. Some of the tangents family guy goes on have me in stitches! Definately the best cartoon on television at the minute. New series is airing in US now. Can't wit till it gets over this side of the pond.

14. What no poll!

I'm a big time Simpsons and Futurama fan but Family Guy puts them in the shade, they get away with some crazy sh!t, the latest episode on BBC3 made a joke about River Phoenixs death, we're lucky it's not been pulled by the 'moral majority' in America

15. Have you heard the voice of Skipper the head Penguin in the two Madagascar films, sounds and acts like Zap Brannigan, best charactor in both shows.

Gone off the Simpsons a bit, would rather watch a shed load of Futurama.