Fus Rigby's funeral

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mercurydancer, Jul 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  2. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Because the poor bloke was killed due to being targetted as a soldier by two very twisted people.

3. Nice send off, he sounded like a good lad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Pity the bint from the BBC talked thru the 2 minutes silence....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Agreed. But why the thread?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Didn't see all the coverage which was a pity as I missed the delegation from the peace loving tolerant Muslim community paying they're respects and "not in our name" placards.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I heard his CO reading out a euology on the radio yesterday. Apparently Lee was a Westlife fan, and wore the t-shirt, so he must have taken a load of stick off the other lads.

Shame he died before he could discover good music.

Yes, if the funeral was in Bury, I would have expected many Muslims to turn up and show their respects.

RIP Lee.

8. Why would you expect a group of people with no connection to the man turn up at his funeral? Such behaviour has been labelled as being a 'grief whore' on here in the past. I think most Muslims have made clear that they disassociate themselves from this act and the men responsible for it- sending some sort of official delegation along would be at odds with this standpoint, it would also be derided as cynical politicking.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I went to the funeral yesterday. There was sizeable turnout and the serving and old and bold and were well represented, with an impressive display of standards.
    The bearer party were a credit to their regiment.

Sank a good few beers with ex fusiliers and Lee was given a good send off on what was a glorious sunny day.

• Like Like x 6
  10. I heard on R4 yesterday that a collection of UK Islamic organisations were creating a trust fund for Fus Rigby's young son.

A gesture - but a good one.

• Like Like x 9
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Fus Rigby's dad said on the TV interview that they received a lot of condolence cards & letters from loads of different faiths & a lot from Muslims.

Fusilier Rigby's family speaks out | British Forces News

12. Mate, as much as I love you, I don't think that "event" was the right word.

It was nasty pasty to watch and I sobbed like a small child through it all.

Lots of mentions of the wife, and none of Aimee. Revolting.

That is all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I note our PM (and Boris attended)!. I don't know if this was personal decision or at the families invitation and do not criticise either for doing so if it was the latter. If the former has this set a precedent for future high profile military deaths?

To the best of my knowledge the PM and senior Govt Ministers have not attended any of the funerals of those killed in Afghanistan and Iraq. Will we now see a politico at all future service funerals?

14. I think you'll find it was the exceptional circumstances of Lee Rigby's murder that ensured the presence of the PM and other politicians at his funeral. I doubt it will set a precedence for future military funerals (hopefully no more). Personally, I find it offensive enough when they spout their usual platitudes at PMQ's, with all the emotion of someone announcing a train is running late. I'd rather see them putting more effort into avoiding getting involved in other countries business' in the first place.
    RIP Drummer Rigby.

• Like Like x 2