Fury over Austrian super rifles for Iranians

The link takes you to the front page and clicking on the article sends you to the wrong one. Can you cut and paste?

hhmm, try getting that registered at the local arms office. 'its just for rabbits officer'

dan_man said:
Fcuk me that would make a hole in something......
Our ceramic plates, if the Iranians have done their homework.

msr

How long before some of these rifles start making an appearance in Iraq? I'll wager within three months of their delivery...I wonder what odds the bookies would give me?

They have to know how to use a rifle like that correctly first don't they, aren't big calibre rifles challenging to shoot with any degree of accuracy?

I've heard of demo's of .50 rifles putting a hole straight through 4 ceramic plates at 600m and I can believe it. Any appearance of these next door to Iran will really set alarm bells ringing

I think the Royal Marines use the M95, .50 arn't really for anti-persnal sniper rifles I was always told they were for demolition of mines and explosives.

Can any sort of personal body armour stop them?

Maybe the Iranians are just tooling up for when the Septics decide to cross the border.

MsG

The Iranian's will have there sniper's, and Steyr will probably have put together a nice training package together to make the deal sweeter for Iran. They will probably complete the package with those new Hensoldt SSG 6-24 x 72 scope's rather than buy the S&B scope's that seem to be mandatory on sniper weapon's these day's.

I can still remember seeing the Steyr scout rifle first in the Bosnian conflict, on the TV. news. I'd ordered one month's earlier (here in BRD), and they wern't availiable due to battlefield test's being carried out in bosnia :twisted:

Toe

dan_man said:
I think the Royal Marines use the M95, .50 arn't really for anti-persnal sniper rifles I was always told they were for demolition of mines and explosives.

Can any sort of personal body armour stop them?
allegedly ;)

msr

Back in 1978, I worked on some development trials with a .50 rifle that Parket Hale had built.
This is the mother-of-all-sniper-rifles. If you use the belt-fed mass produced .50 from a heavy machine gun, then you will have problems with accuracy.
If on the other hand, you can find some nice match grade ammo, then this really is a monster.
After a week of practice and lots of selecting ammo, we were able to do 4" groups at 1500 yards.
The firepower demo back in 1978 was to get an SLR and try to hit an oil drum (filled with water)at 600m
I am sure that we have all seen that one, 7.62mm on the way in, 17.62mm on the way out.
With .50, there is no oil drum left to measure.
Falling plates was fun. The standard 4x4 steel plate gets moved 15-20m down range and has a nice .50 hole in it.
We didn't have ceramic plates in those days, but it does go trough the engine block on a land-rover (length-ways)

Nice that the Austrians shipped a big container load of these to Iraq.
The only tiny little good point is that it is such a big b#gger, you will have problems hiding it under your coat.

We are forgetting one thing - you still need to be a shit-hot shot to actually use one of these effectively.

Smacking things upto 400m away with a scope is easy peasy. it's the long money shots that will test their skill.

As for the damage, .50cal rifles are normally anti-material roles I would imagine. Could penetrate moderate armour plating on things like landrovers and hummers and, of course, the engineblock shot to disable in one shot.

You'll find that for anti personnel sniper missions, the .338 Lapua Magnum is king here.