Fury of Adens forgotten soldiers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, Nov 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

2. I hear what’s being said, but fair comment ”A MoD spokeswoman said: "We don't do 40th anniversaries. We do 25th and 50th and 60th, but not the 40th." – no?

And, ”former servicemen who battled insurgents in the colony”, there you go, ”colony. So, cue the PC bleeding heart do-gooder brigade to despoil any commemoration. :x

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

For those of you in Scotland there is a programme on Monday 26 November 2007 on BBC 2 Scotland at 2000 hrs called "Mad Mitch and the last battle of The British Empire"

Should be worth a watch.
  4. But Not forgotten on the fringes of the keeni meeni world :wink:
  5. An iconic conflict, most of which passed without my being aware of it (due to being a sprog) and very bloody and vicious. Mad Mitch was ahead of his time in many respects, which did not sit well with certain parts of society.

Despite that it is abhorrent that any conflict should be forgotten, and the argument for not holding a 40th anniversay is weak. Anno Domini persists, and many will not see the 50th, ergo, have a 40th and damn the lot of them.

As has been noted, Aden was the birthplace of keenie meenie tactics that have served 'them' well ever since, and aside from the A&SH, I know that 1 Para also served there, as of course did all the usual suspects, the support arms, RAF and a host of others.
  6. Never knew it was a colony,was always refered to as the Aden Protectorate,or Protectorate of Aden when I was going in and out of there,initially a Coaling station for ships,going to and from India,and naval vessels lurking in the area. :wink:
  7. The Aden Vets asso had a get together last September up at the Norbreck Castle hotel Blackpool.

On the Sunday there was a service at the town's war memorial supported by a contingent from the RLC Port Regiment. Not a big contingent but there was about 12 of them.

I am not a member and only know cos a mucker of mine serves with the Port Regt and was in the guard. A band was also in attendance but didn't take much notice so cannot remember which one it was.

Not sure if they went through official MOD channels for this support or if it was done on the old boys network.
  8. And what official commemoration was there at the 25th anniversary?

A lot of units served in Aden, remember the Nothumberland Fus lost 18 men (IIRC) in a morning when the police mutinied.

There were really two campaigns, Aden itself and the Radfan. In the latter you know it gets serious when a gunner offr is awarded a MC for defence of his battery gun position. Then there were the sapper regts under continuous fire for months on end while they built the road up the escarpment.
  9. I was looking at the the Casualties on the Cyprus Emergency, and some 300 men were killed in 1956 alone, yet this never gets a mention.
  10. KOSB Aden and Radfan veterans plan on holding a reunion in the near future. Anyone interested call HHQ KOSB at Berwick.
  11. whenever I have mentioned Aden at work I get blank stares and the comment "where's that then?" Still fond memories of the Argyles in Plymouth and the NAAFI club (now offices)
  12. ”Never knew it was a colony, was always refered to as the Aden Protectorate”

There was Colonial territory and Protectorate territory. The smaller area of Aden port was the colony and the much larger surrounding ‘buffer zone’ was, by treaty, ruled by native warlords under British protection.

There’s a straight forward summary at Britain’s Small Wars. Often a useful resource.

”The Aden Vets asso had a get together last September up at the Norbreck Castle hotel Blackpool.”

Yeah, ‘ard b’stards in that Assoc. :wink: :lol:

13. I know how you feel, mate. I live in Oz these days, and the geographical explanation gets a bit tortuous at times. But I never shrink from it - I owe it to my four 1 PWO mates who didn't come back home with us. We did a full tour Sep 65 - Sep 66, then went back as Spearhead battalion in Jun 67 to support the Argylls (good bunch of lads, and hard as nails.) The treatment of Mad Mitch by the Establishment was shabby. The guy made the mistake of thinking & acting like a soldier instead of like an arrse-covering civil servant.

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I served with 1 PWO in the mid-80's and there were still a few old and bold in the battalion who'd been on those tours: good guys and good soldiers.
  15. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I served there for 18 months, until the very end. I did stints with a 'Training Team' at a place called Al Anad, the most god-forsaken piece of dung anywhere, and also did stints at 'Cap Badge' and 'Rice Bowl'. I worked out of 24 Bde in Littel Aden.
    The great majority of people I have come across have never heard of the damned place. At the time we used to say that if God was to give the world an enema, Aden is where he would stick the tube!
    Two clasps for GSM. And a bloody horrible day in Silent Valley!