Fury as Israelis damage British war cemetery

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/13/nveterans13.xml

Britain has issued a formal complaint after Israeli forces caused significant damage to the Commonwealth war cemetery in Gaza City, the last resting place for thousands of troops who died fighting the Ottomans in 1917.

The British embassy in Tel Aviv wrote to the Israeli government four months ago after six headstones and a perimeter wall were destroyed by an Israeli army bulldozer but has not yet received an answer.

More damage was done last week during an Israeli operation in the nearby town of Beit Hanoun, when an attack helicopter used its cannon to fire at one of the cemetery's larger group memorial stones.

Two dozen other headstones have been pockmarked by shrapnel from Israeli artillery and several have been completely destroyed.

This must be the 'terror infrastructure' the Israelis are always on about.

:evil:

No, it's called a "technical failure" combined with a "map reading error' due to "communication problems" following an "unreported take off".....

And when you think of how the Israelis get their knickers in a twist when somebody defaces stuff at Bergen-Belsen or Dachau .....

MsG

Bugsy7 said:
And when you think of how the Israelis get their knickers in a twist when somebody defaces stuff at Bergen-Belsen or Dachau .....

MsG
Yes, indeed. There was even a minor scandal in Israel when a party of young officers were in Poland to visit Auscwitz and it was revealed they were playing cards on the bus there and thus not showing proper respect IIRC.

Maybe when America is your bestest friend, you can do whatever you want.

I really hope we make the bu**ers make good the damage or fund the repairs. Not least, they should say "sorry" and mean it. It may be good for them to remember that Palestine was a British Mandate before that big chunk was carved out for them

Cemeteries and memorials get damaged in war, it's a fact of life.

The Western Front is littered with WW1 memorials pockmarked with bullet holes; the Menin Gate, Hill 60 and Vimy Ridge to name just three. Do we really think that 60 years ago, our forefathers let that sniper continue to shoot just because he was sat in a cemetery?

As if we needed it, another apparent example of the arrogance of that spiteful little nation. Four months, and not even a reply?

Awol said:

The Western Front is littered with WW1 memorials pockmarked with bullet holes; the Menin Gate, Hill 60 and Vimy Ridge to name just three. Do we really think that 60 years ago, our forefathers let that sniper continue to shoot just because he was sat in a cemetery?
I can agree with that, but to be so arrogant to not admit it and rectify the damge caused, thats a different kettle of fish.

My Father never trusted Isreal.He say "Give a race a country & they'll hate the rest of the world".
He thought that,the Holocaust aside,that they'd be victim fist & oppressers later,not careing about world opinion.
He was right.

Awol said:

There's sniper fire and artillery damage, then there's this...

six headstones and a perimeter wall were destroyed by an Israeli army bulldozer

My great grandfather is buried along with others from his Norfolk Regt battalion in Gaza - I agree with AWOL but wilful destruction is another matter, or is it something we should have come to expect from Israel, after all, a similar bulldozer ran down a peace campaigner 2/3 years ago, despite her wearing a high-vis vest, waving her arms and shouting while it was still some distance away.

Shame on them (Israel) They should make good the damage without question.

tich23 said:
after all, a similar bulldozer ran down a peace campaigner 2/3 years ago, despite her wearing a high-vis vest, waving her arms and shouting while it was still some distance away.
Not all bad then, are they?

tich23 said:
a similar bulldozer ran down a peace campaigner 2/3 years ago, despite her wearing a high-vis vest, waving her arms and shouting while it was still some distance away.
well why the f*ck didnt the hippie get out the way?!?!? there own stupid fault!!

Jamie

If the sraelis did carry out the hooliganism they are accused of , then it is wrong and reparations and apologiesshould be forthcoming. However, Why do I find this so suspicious.

First -who reported this to the British Embassy in Tel Aviv. It can't be "Andy Fretwell, the Holy Land representative of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, (who) has not been able to visit the Gaza cemetery for a year". That leaves "loyal and dedicated local staff". Palestinians, living in Gaza, who are partisan in this matter and even if they were not inclusive in any deception they are open to threats if they did not tow the Hamas line.

Second, the damage should be examined - something that hasn't happened yet. How about "Two dozen other headstones have been pockmarked by shrapnel from Israeli artillery and several have been completely destroyed." So, if the shells landed outside the cemetary then how can it be claimed that the cemetaries were targetted and if they landed inside then why was there no report of shell holes, bodies heaved out of the ground etc etc. Further, how would a gardener know how to tell the difference between damage caused by a helicapters cannon and that caused by a Hamas AKM or whatever.

Third, what is to say that if fire was directed at the cemetary, Hamas operatives weren't using the cemetary as cover.

This smells much more of Hamas duplicity then of Israeli callousness

Perhaps they will repair the damage when we have the BNP in charge of Briatain!?

Do you think, that if they smash up neighbouring countries, they will take time to repair our cemetaries????

I doubt it...

me n bee said:
Do you think, that if they smash up neighbouring countries, they will take time to repair our cemetaries????

I doubt it...

Why do You think that THEY damaged the cemetaries - and are the THEY in question Israeli THEY or Palastinian THEY. Basically, where is the proof