Further learning

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Eggbanjo, Jul 25, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this may be better suited in the CivDiv forum but I was wondering how many blokes go into higher education on leaving the forces. I know it's a bit subjective but does the MoD or Ed Corps take an interest in this kind of thing.

We always hear about ex-forces blokes stagging on at Tesco's or pissed up down the park with the dossers but my experiance has been quite the opposite.

At a recent piss up of former Para Reg lads there were a number of blokes who had gone and got degree's or diploma's etc and were holding down well paid jobs. Other's had got into IT in a big way and there were blokes who had got their own companies up and running.

Can't just be that Para Reg has all the brainy blokes..........can it :wink:

2. I haven't seen much evidence of ex squaddies being dossers (a good few were though, but that's when they were in! :lol: ). Paras being the brainy ones............are you trying to get a rise here or what :lol:

Despite cap badges etc, there's loads of serving who take up HE & FE whilst they are in, in preparation for leaving. You might find that some of the lads you met, had their '5 year plan' and started doing a BA/BSc/Dip etc, five years before they left, so as to gain the jobs they were after. Good on them.

It's not hard to do, just takes a bit of planning, having the nonce to stay on top of the jobs market outside whoch is of interest to you and a little bit of application by the individual and off they go, with a fair to middling chance of good employment.

Nice to have a degree, even nicer to be paid well whilst doing it. Can't see why more don't take it up. When faced with an ex squaddie as a potential employee, the employer may be suitably impressed by the fact that you were a Troop Staffy responsible for x amount of men and eqpt, but they will be even more impressed if you produce some serious HE/FE qualifications (which are current, so keep on top of them!), as well. Sort of dispels the myth that we are lesser human beings who just follow orders. A lot of them wonder where you found the time to do a degree, being so busy on tour/Ops as reported by the news combined with all the stuff you've put in your CV. They will be impressed.

Sets you up above the competition, believe me.

If you are doing something good luck to you, stick in and make it work for you. If you're not, consider the pros of doing so, they far outweigh the cons.

3. MS

I should have said in my earlier post I did my degree after leaving (given my discipline record I would have been laughed out of the Coy Office if I'd tried to do it while I was still in).

That said there were a few guys who could see beyond the end of their noses and did start various courses but they did struggle with the time management given the number of overseas trips and tours to contend with.

As for work opportunities, I know for a fact that I got my first job after I left Uni on the back of my forces experiance and my current employer made reference to it several times during my interview. So it does make a difference, the trick is making it work for you and not against you.

By the way its a myth that all Para Reg blokes are knuckle dragging Neanderthals a fair few of them have pretty good educational standards prior to joining, it would be interesting to see how they compare to other Regt's. 8O

4. In my room in Germany 15 years ago there were 3 of us who started OU degrees at the same time-one got out the following year and went to uni-degree and reasonable job followed (and unfeasably long hair). I stuck at it for 10 years and got an honours degree, looks good in the CR and no doubt helped in getting commisioned.

The remaining guy couldn't be arrsed and now is a bumping along SNCO who will still be saying "I really ought to get some qulifications" the day before he leaves.

Get what you can, start early and use the money and time that the system will gove you. Talk to people-I've never been in a unit where there weren't 15-20% of people doing OU or something similar. The IERO at your local Education centre can help as can the ETS instructors-lots of whom have done OU.

You know it makes sense.

5. 749

749 Old-Salt

what about NVQs etc
    got a couple from just doing my EFP

at the moment i'm doing my HNC by APL which means getting copies of all my trade notes and a nice letter from my boss to say that i have done all that i claim to have done
    this sorts out half of the units and the rest i do by distance learning
    dead easy

6. 749

I did an Hons degree in Quantity Surveying and my dissertation subject compared the training of an indentured apprenticeship from the 50's to that of an NVQ student. There was quite a bit of upheaval within the construction industry about NVQ's being 'easier' than the C&G route but most of this was through ignorance of the subject matter.

I picked the subject on purpose as I got my City & Guilds in bricklaying just before the change over to NVQ's so I could see both sides of the argument. I worked with a couple of guys who had undertaken 'proper' apprenticeships and it was interesting to compare their training with that of today. Apart from the obvious time to do the course (5 yrs instead of 3 today) they did a full day plus night classes which included a session of PT but were taught nothing about health and safety at work !!.

In their wrtten exams they had to get 60% to pass, I took a copy of an exam paper in and some of the lecturers couldn't answer the questions 8O

That doesn't mean that their training was any better or worse than todays, just suited to the industry at that moment in time.

7. 749

749 Old-Salt

i have picked up loads of quals during my time in the mob, some regognised outside but many not, though the theory learned has wider uses which is nice

8. all quals are worth while

9. I'm a Recruitment Consultant joining the Army, and I gotta say that out of the many many many ex-service men and women I've represented to clients, the ones with degrees are always looked at more favourably than ones without.

I asked a client about it, and was told that everything on a soliders/officers CV is military - everything on it is alien to a civillian. You might have managed 12 guys as a JNCO and it's given you management skills etc, but to a civillian all that means is 'a soldier leading other soldiers' - they don't see the relevance of those man-management skills.

So she carried on by saying that when she/other employers see a degree, it's something familiar to them and they're more comfortable with it.

It's sad, but it highlights blinding bloody ignorance on the side of civillians who haven't got the nouse to recognise the skills that many ex-service wo/men bring to the table - and instead go on to hire some up his own arrse twice yuppie tw@ straight out of Uni with a media studies degree :shakefist:

10. You need to convert a CV so civilians understand the. If you leave a sgt and above, you will have man -managment skills. Just dont use words such as platoon, troop etc.
    For example, in armoured inf, we had a sgt that was responsible for the company armoured vehicles, so on his cv, he could mention he had fleet management experienced.

A manager is a manager, wheter its an an office or store, or within the armed forces. I know someone who went into a security manager job within an office, the fact is the job was more aimed to either ex servicemen..(mainly sncos or above), or ex police officers.

He had alot of experince, as do most snco in the army, which made him go into a job starting at £ 35 k a year .

To many squaddies sell themselves short when they leave the army, sometimes their own fault, sometimes not.