Furor(e) Over "Diversity" of US Naval Academy Colo(u)r Guard

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IMHO this is another example of the hypersensitivity in the US military to "appearances" and "political correctness" for "diversity."

2. sorry,Jumpin,but it's spelt "Colour"

3. Oops....

4. No problem,mate,we have a lovely language and heritage,didn't you know that? :lol:

5. Very witty! :lol:

6. Important, I'll grant you - especially in a country somewhat more diverse than the UK. But their "highest personnel priority"? Either the Academy is full of raving racist sexist loons or the usual litany of personnel disasters in basic (okay, very extended basic) training establishments is completely unknown there.

Oh, look. Nope, lets me see. Drugs, cheating and sex (we'd have no military left if we expelled people for bonking during training.)

I wouldn't worry about the spelling either - the Commandant of Middies can't spell "honour" - http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/nav/2009/11/01-24/Academy-honor-cases-focus-on-redemption-not-expulsion.html

7. Its the US Naval Academy, therefore its a Color Guard, not a Colour Guard.

8. Yes, it's all part of that new strategic policy to deal with dissidents and subversives, and called "if you can't beat 'em, contain 'em. Recent events, however, may have uncovered a flaw in this strategy.

9. No, SMF it certainly is not. English is English and you don't get to spell it any way you choose just because you live on a different side of the bit of water.

10. Are you seriously going to drag up the oldest, dullest most pointless debate that Arrse has ever seen....again?
    They drop the U. We all know they drop the U. You may not like it, but you're going to have to get over it, and yourself.

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Outrage! outrage! i propose we liberate HMS Trafalgar and sail her across the pond and take back the colony.

12. No I'm not. I just like to give them grief about it all the time. I apologise for assuming you to be a septic.

13. Without making too much of it at this point as the facts are still coming in, it is this extreme attitude that IMHO contributed to the apparent inaction by civilian intelligence and law enforcement and the Army chain of command in dealing with Major Hasan before he reached critical mass.

14. KR: After having spent much time in the UK, I wonder which of the myriad dialects of "English" I have had to try to decipher is the standard? :D

15. JJ, that's where we like to keep you guessing!

On a more serious note- it does seem odd that no one acted over these reports about Maj H. I wonder if someone took it personnaly the he wanted to get out on the grounds of CO and decided to keep him in and post him? You would think that as soon as he was found to be in contact with uncertain elements something would have been done.