Funny Vindaloo recipe.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Dwarf, Jul 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The best Chicken Vindaloo recipe in the world... EVER! | Titli's Busy Kitchen

Saw this today and apart from being a damn good recipe she's got a grand sense of humour, - excepting the first twenty seconds- and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Just off to try it out.
    Hope you get something out of it apart from a scorched ring-piece.

Happy cooking lads.

P.S. Watch out for the reference to Deep Thought.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Probably better off making it yourself. In the last few years I have noticed that restaurant vindaloos bulk out the dish with potato at the expense of the meat content. Strangely, the price seems to continue rising.
  3. With only one teaspoon of "hot chili powder", you're not gonna get much heat from this Vindaloo recipe. I'd say to get even close to what I expect a Vindaloo to taste like, you'd have to multiply the amount of chili powder by 4, and make sure it's cayenne pepper.

Vindaloo should not contain any potatoes. The potatoes often get added because of a translation mistake - people assume it comes from the Indian word 'Aloo' which means potato, but it's thought to have originally been the Portuguese dish 'carne de vinha d' alhos' which means 'meat with wine and garlic'.

Here's my chicken vindaloo recipe that I make for my family at home. They eat it with 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, but that's the really mild version. It should be eaten with at least 2tsp cayenne pepper and preferably 4 for the real deal:

Chicken Vindaloo

Eat with rice and naan. For hotter versions of this dish, use the bracketed amounts of cayenne pepper.

1 1/2 tbsp whole grain mustard
    1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1/4 (mild) 2 (hot) or 4 (traditional - very hot) tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 small onion, peeled and cut into fine half rings
    1 1/2 lb chicken cut into 1" cubes
    2/3 cup canned coconut milk, well stirred
    1 cup water

Combine the mustard, ginger garlic paste, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, salt, and vinegar in a cup. Mix well.

Put the oil in a 12" nonstick frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Stir and fry until it is medium brown. Add the spice paste. Stir and fry for a minute. Add the meat. Stir and fry for about 3 minutes. Then add the coconut milk and 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer (about mark 1) and cook for 60-70 minutes until the sauce thickens.

Serves 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I once had a vindaloo-as-it-was-originally-intended. Made with pork, I seem to remember. And pretty shit it was too.
  5. That recipe has been on my bookmarks for a few weeks. Smash a few punctured whole chillis in to the mix and it's v tasty.
  6. Yeah, that's what it needs - a bit more heat.

As for the idea that vindaloo as originally intended is shit, well, there are good and bad cooks all over - anyone can mess up what would be a good meal in some other cook's hands.
  7. Yep, I must admit I put in more chillies than the recipe asked for, and quite nice it was too.

I'm not happy about spuds in my vindaloos but that's personal, though I like the translation offered, it makes sense.

Yes, anybody can screw up a recipe, on a visit to the UK last week I had two on consecutive nights, the thought being I would enjoy and the rest of the cattle on Ryanair would be those who suffered.

The first, a takeaway in Jockland was absolutely gopping, tinned everything and if I had made it would have been a subject for apologies all round. The next night in a restaurant in Newcastle was much better.
    Like everything if you put a bit of care into it it will be good. Oh, and don't forget that extra chilli.