Funny Coloured Para Wings

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cpunk, Sep 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Someone - an American collector in fact - recently asked me about the various odd coloured British Para Wings which people like Du Bora's flog. While I've seen a few serving personnel wearing various different types - Tim Collins in the Gulf for example - I've no idea if these are official or which regiments have different ones and, if they do, why? Does anyone know what the score is with them?
  2. LI wear dark green on maize all same their chevrons and qual badges
  3. The wings worn by the members of The Parachute Regiment and other Para-Trained personel, these can be considered the norm and the height of field fashion. Then you have the blue wings worn by Prince Charles and members of the RAF regiment. These should be considered as GAY, no P Coy (apart from Prince Charles who should be considered as the next King of England).

The wings worn by Tim Collins for example is just reflective of the nature of Light Infantry Regiments, always sporting something a little different to the norm. The Light Infantry, Royal Green Jackets and Royal Irish all follow this pattern, no shiny stuff on their twos, everything green or black.

Then you have the wings that are blacked out, for tactical field fashion especially useful when disguised as a bush! NICE!
  4. also the metal capbadges as far as I remember were black for NI....

another pointless post so i can get a new medal!

5. Theres lots of them RI and RGJ as said wear the green black things whilst the LI wear a very tacky looking Green and yellow number. its all down to regt dress.

Heres a question for you

What unit wore the normal coloured wings with a Maroon backing ?
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Junior Para Company, but on their PT vests, IIRC.
  7. Gurkhas (2nd KEO Gurkha Rifles as was) used to wear small Black On Scarlet wings, But that was when they also wore Black on Scarlet rank badges as well.
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Going back to the original question, I know all these wings exist and I've seen a few people wearing them, but are they official or an unofficial regimental affectation? And does anyone have a list of the different colour schemes?
  9. I've got Chocolate Wings
  10. Surely the green and black wings are just the subdued type that all self respecting winged up trooper wears in the field, regardless of regiment. I’d personal die of social embarrassment if I wore anything else on my field smoke.

.......yes I am very board at work and have little better to do.
  11. Rusty wings ???
  12. yep, didn't know it was on PT vest however, I understand they stopped those wings years ago
  13. The colour scheme of the wings will match the colours of the rank badges and other qual badges worn by the regiment in question.

I don't know where the various schemes are listed, but I reckon JSP 336 Vol 12 pam 3 would be a good start.
  14. What a geek !!!
  15. Yeah, sad innit?