Funeral held for hero of Islam

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Jul 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dozens of comrades of the first British Muslim soldier to be killed in Afghanistan joined family and friends to say farewell to a "hero of Islam".

At least 400 people attended Saturday's funeral for Lance Corporal Jabron Hashmi, 24, at the Central Jamia Mosque in Small Heath, Birmingham.

Among those present was his commanding officer in the Intelligence Corps, Lt Col Steve Vickery and the Muslim Chaplain for the Armed Forces, Imam Asim Hafiz.

A family statement spoke of his pride at joining the army.

"Jabron wanted to join the British army as a young boy growing up in Pakistan," it said.

"He was proud of his role as a serving soldier and looked forward to his deployment in Afghanistan.

"He felt privileged to represent the Army as a Muslim British Pakistani who wanted to use his background and position to contribute at a time where there exists a lack of understanding of cultures, ideologies and religious identities."

Well put. RIP
  2. Condolences to the family, but 'here, here' for their spirit and their willingness to express what may be, in that community, an unpopular opinion.
  3. RIP Young man and thank you for what you gave this country.
  4. RIP to him and thanks to his family for the statement made.
  5. My sympathies to his family. An outstanding example to all. RIP
  6. RIP mate. The only thing that has disappointed me is that no-one (the media) seems to be "interested" in Cpl Pete Thorpe. Just because he is only a christian.
  7. I tried to access the Barrow - in - Furness, North West Evening News to see the press coverage on Cpl Thorpes funeral but the site is down.