Funeral Black Arm Bands

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by bazzac, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does any one know where the black arm band is worn on NO2 Dress at a funeral ive been told 2" above the elbow on the right but ive also been told the same about the left, do you cover rank with it or do you move it down?
  2. or better still, your Master Stitch
  3. The only thing I know about this is that when a very senior royal dies, court mourning is ordered and black armbands are worn by officers only. IIRC that hasn't happened since 1972.
  4. Be a Regimental thing me thinks I wore one ( cant remember which arm though ) doing coffin bearer for one of the lads who died in an RTA a few years back if you do wear one though I remember they take time to arrive from that magical place things are stored
  5. Yep I can remember wearing at a funeral of a mate, think it was right arm but not sure. Everyone wore one I can remember.
  6. It's the right arm, above the elbow.
  7. Read QRs its all in there
  8. Thank God they can have the funeral now.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I always heard that the black armband (supposedly representing the defunct) is to be worn on the left arm, 2 inches above the elbow, thereby keeping the armband (and the defunct) closest to the heart.
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I did coffin bearer for some retired WO2 in 1986. Warrant officer or SSgt (we were all Sgt+) came round, "RSM wants coffin bearers - up for it?" I had been in the unit a couple of months and that plus retraining on transfer-in amounted to my entire contact with the corps (one independent posting elsewhere). I really thought they could manage six people to hump a coffin without accepting my offer.

That afternoon I was invited to coffin drill in 2s with the undertaker. Istr we the bearers wore armbands and memory suggests right arm above the elbow. But I could be wrong on so many levels, like farting in a crowded lift.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as everyone is doing the same thing. That way if someone questions it you can say 'tradition' and they will be happy
    • Like Like x 2
  12. After 7 years, I suspect that the poor chap is walking amongst us again.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yes AllenFTM believe your right, about right arm. Said good buy to a friend in Battalion January and am saying good buy to another Tuesday coming, I took off the post I had on as I realised I am about six years out of step with the question and the deceased might well have had his/her burial by now with or without arm bands. Egg Banjo really not sure about the left arm nearer to the heart but the black is a traditional colour for morning.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Arrse at its educational finest: You don't wear an armband, unless you do, in which case it's worn on the arm.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Read the date of he last post, you urethra.