Full Veil ban extended part II

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Flash MacTavish, Jul 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just out of idle curiousity, why was the original thread closed?

I also have issues with chadors (or however the hell that is spelled), burkas, and headscarfs being worn by muslim females while driving, they have no peripheral vision and are a menace. That being said, most of them look better covered with a tarp...

• Like Like x 1
  2. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

No idea, however just to ensure my previous comments are not misconstrued. I can find no reference in the Koran to the requirement of a burka or niqab (although niqab was orriginally a word for cloth). It is my opinion that the Prophet Mohammed advised women (and men) to be modest in their state of dress. However, that,like many things in many religions has been twisted out of context and is now used as a tool to suppress women. The concept of modesty is a common thread amongst the religions of the book and all three of the major religions that sprang from the middle east have in the past and in certain circumstances still do apply rules that a more modern secular society find if not disturbing then at least a little odd.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Looks more like it was binned due to hijack by a rogue outbreak of inter-unit rivalry rather than any untoward Muslim bashing. Just out of interest do you have a picture of the Prophet Mohammed advising women (and men) to be modest in their state of dress?

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Unfortunately not mate as one of his other edicts is that you can't draw or paint or otherwise represent the human form as its akin to copying Gods work. Guess that makes camera sales a bit of a crap job in Mecca.Again its another odd situation caused by reading a book written over 1000 years ago.

There is Arabic pre Islamic art that depicts people and also art from those parts of the far east that are now Islamic, it seems the more fundamental a region becomes the stronger the tenant is applied. However its pretty much the same the world over irrespective of which religion/belief system the more back to basics it gets the more arrse about face it becomes until such time it is a travesty of its original idea.

If you ever get chance to see the film "dogma" with alan Rickman theres a cracking line in it about mankinds ability to take a simple set of moral rules and build a whole religious system around it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Imagine my surprise when I went into a bank with a balaclava on and they denied my right as an Irishman to wear it !!! Bastards !!! what is the world coming too !!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Claim religious and cultural discrimination mate, and if they query it just say the following... " Well the priest always wore one when he came to visit us alter boys at night"

• Like Like x 2
  8. No surrender

9. Whilst there may or may not be reference to women covering themselves in the Koran - there is explicit instruction for christian women to veil themselves in Pauls first letter to the Corinthians.

Quite the bigot is Paul

10. I think there's a problem when trying to justify secular laws through theological debate. If there is a good reason for a state to prohibit Islamic dress, or some types of Islamic dress, then the argument surely needs to be made on secular grounds rather than by arguing about what Mohammed may or may not have intended when he wrote the Koran and the other documents upon which such religious rules and customs are based, or by which they are justified by their proponents.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If making of images is banned according to the Koran, how come there are so many pictures of Mecca around?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Probably because somebody hates me because I am a woman!!

13. The sawn off may have caused them some concern!

• Like Like x 1
  14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Still happening, the women of the Plymouth Brethren still cover their heads with a head scarf.

15. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Becasue as with all religions they bend the rules to fit their own desired out come.

However if you look at islamic art you'll find the majority of it is geometric.