Full-time TA?

Hello,

I'm thinking of joining the 3 MI Bn in London, basically because I move around to much (or will in a few years) to make the regular SSC commitment. What I'm mainly looking to do is join up with a TA battalion and rush through the training full-time (rather than on weekends), and then try for an FTRS job (preferably in intel, as I think I have a decent background).

Basically (weird as this might sound, I don't know) I'd like to do the TA full time (without joining the regs): so I wondered if anyone knew whether this was possible, or would I just be sitting on my hands 5 days a week and then doing the weekends like everyone else?

Cheers,
Mike

A Wah surely?

As a recruit you've got next to no chance.

To be employed anywhere near FT in the TA, you need to be employable in the sense that you actually do a job for the unit, that under normal circumstances they would not be able to fulfill.

you either need to go Reg. Or suck it and see and join up, training as a normal TA bod.

So in terms of training, it's a weekend-only job: the center just sits for the rest of the week?

To clarify full-time, I meant more full-time training and then hopefully filling an FTRS vacancy where needed (languages, intel work etc). But you say that's not really an option?

YF,

The vast majority of the TA have full-time jobs and do the TA one night per week, one weekend per month and for two weeks in the year.

If you want more than that, go regular.

msr

YoungFella said:
Hello,

I'm thinking of joining the 3 MI Bn in London, basically because I move around too much (or will in a few years) to make the regular SSC commitment.

Are you a Gypsy?

What I'm mainly looking to do is join up with a TA battalion and rush through the training full-time (rather than on weekends), and then try for an FTRS job
Why not go regular?

(preferably in intel, as I think I have a decent background).

Mesopotamian studies or Isfahanian weaving techniques?

Basically (weird as this might sound, I don't know) I'd like to do the TA full time (without joining the regs): so I wondered if anyone knew whether this was possible, or would I just be sitting on my hands 5 days a week and then doing the weekends like everyone else?

You're right,it does sound weird.but having "a decent background" as you put it which was in demand,you could apply for something like Scottish Summer Challenge and apply to go on operations afterwards.As to the FTRS thing I think that would entirely depend on what your "decent background was

Cheers,
Mike

And lets have less of the Intel please. It's INT!!!

polar69 said:
(my pc says intel inside) is it full of green slime ? :lol:
Only if its a septic PC!!

:p :x :roll:

YoungFella said:
Hello,

I'm thinking of joining the 3 MI Bn in London, basically because I move around to much (or will in a few years) to make the regular SSC commitment. What I'm mainly looking to do is join up with a TA battalion and rush through the training full-time (rather than on weekends), and then try for an FTRS job (preferably in intel, as I think I have a decent background).

Cheers,
Mike
If you can make a 'full-time' commitment to the TA why can't you go regular?

Bottom line is if you want a military career then you must go regular. The TA simply isn't structured to give you a proper 'full-time' career. There are people who manage to do serial FTRS or 220 days a year in the TA, but even though they work full-time, they don't have a career as such.

If you get yourself along to your local MI Bn now, chances are that you can get your Phase 1 and possibly phase 2 recruit training done over the Summer. In most regions there are events known as 'Summer Challenge' or some such, in which the TA recruit training is compressed into a continuous course. These are organised on a regional basis, but the courses are being loaded now, so move fast.

If you want to be an officer, you maybe able to get fast tracked through a Summer Challenge type process, but once again, time is a bit short, and there's only so much fast tracking that you can do.

Best thing to do is get along to your MI unit and talk it through.

As regards your chances of getting FTRS afterwards - that's really down to what you have to offer plus what's available, but you'll have to get trained before you will be able to progress things very far.

You do know that service number 007 is taken, dont you?

Is the TA not full time?

Don't be starting rumours that there is a minimum commitment level or she will have me decorating the whole bloody house.

You fools !

This man is obviously already full-time "Intel" and is posting as a recruiter. You have all fallen at the first hurdle and should be ashamed of yourselves for letting your guard down.

YF, ignore these heathens, i'm your man for MI5 (the "intel" service, not the motorway that heads south to Exeter) i speak several different languages including English, Geordie, Scouse and some French from school.

Together we can conquer the world "Full time" (not just on weekends) and rid the world of these evil urine takers.

Failing that, step away from the keyboard, open your curtains, take a deep breath and get some fresh air, go to a pub for a pint and talk to a girl........................

you big wierdo

YoungFella said:
Hello,

I'm thinking of joining the 3 MI Bn in London, basically because I move around to much (or will in a few years) to make the regular SSC commitment.

Cheers,
Mike
If you move around too much to give a regular commitment how can you take an FTRS job? :frustrated:

YoungFella said:
<snip> ... basically because I move around to much (or will in a few years) to make the regular SSC commitment. What I'm mainly looking to do ... <snip>
Has the terminology changed? I thought SSC was a regular Short Service Commission?

i just spoke to the ta, again.. told them i was interested in doing combat medical technician, was happy to do the 24 week plus training and what ever else, said i was happy being posted overseas as i can return to work anytime and wanted to progress in this field. i told them i was to old to join the regs and all i got was well i guess we can send out a cd rom for you. not much bloody help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Forces_Sweetheart Infantry 1
4 Classified Ads 6
C Army Pay, Claims & JPA 1