Full-time TA?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by YoungFella, Apr 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm thinking of joining the 3 MI Bn in London, basically because I move around to much (or will in a few years) to make the regular SSC commitment. What I'm mainly looking to do is join up with a TA battalion and rush through the training full-time (rather than on weekends), and then try for an FTRS job (preferably in intel, as I think I have a decent background).

Basically (weird as this might sound, I don't know) I'd like to do the TA full time (without joining the regs): so I wondered if anyone knew whether this was possible, or would I just be sitting on my hands 5 days a week and then doing the weekends like everyone else?

Cheers,
    Mike

2. A Wah surely?

3. As a recruit you've got next to no chance.

To be employed anywhere near FT in the TA, you need to be employable in the sense that you actually do a job for the unit, that under normal circumstances they would not be able to fulfill.

you either need to go Reg. Or suck it and see and join up, training as a normal TA bod.

4. msr

msr LE

Certainly an oxymoron.

msr

5. So in terms of training, it's a weekend-only job: the center just sits for the rest of the week?

To clarify full-time, I meant more full-time training and then hopefully filling an FTRS vacancy where needed (languages, intel work etc). But you say that's not really an option?

6. msr

msr LE

YF,

The vast majority of the TA have full-time jobs and do the TA one night per week, one weekend per month and for two weeks in the year.

If you want more than that, go regular.

msr

7. For someone who wants to do intelligence you are as thick as mince

9. And lets have less of the Intel please. It's INT!!!

10. (my pc says intel inside) is it full of green slime ? :lol:

11. Only if its a septic PC!!

:p :x :roll:

12. If you can make a 'full-time' commitment to the TA why can't you go regular?

Bottom line is if you want a military career then you must go regular. The TA simply isn't structured to give you a proper 'full-time' career. There are people who manage to do serial FTRS or 220 days a year in the TA, but even though they work full-time, they don't have a career as such.

If you get yourself along to your local MI Bn now, chances are that you can get your Phase 1 and possibly phase 2 recruit training done over the Summer. In most regions there are events known as 'Summer Challenge' or some such, in which the TA recruit training is compressed into a continuous course. These are organised on a regional basis, but the courses are being loaded now, so move fast.

If you want to be an officer, you maybe able to get fast tracked through a Summer Challenge type process, but once again, time is a bit short, and there's only so much fast tracking that you can do.

Best thing to do is get along to your MI unit and talk it through.

As regards your chances of getting FTRS afterwards - that's really down to what you have to offer plus what's available, but you'll have to get trained before you will be able to progress things very far.

13. You do know that service number 007 is taken, dont you?

14. Cheers Richard Hanney, that helps a lot.

Less so some of the others, but brilliant banter nonetheless.

15. Is the TA not full time?

Don't be starting rumours that there is a minimum commitment level or she will have me decorating the whole bloody house.