Full-time reserve

Juice

Swinger
Hey guys,

Planning on joining the army through RMAS. Currently 27, already applied for UK passport it should come through this June, the last intake I can make, because of my age, is May 2021. Might be a rain check on that one, because of COVID-19 (if previous applicants get rolled over to the next intake or something, I imagine the selection will be pretty tight/competitive).

Thinking of alternatives,does anyone know about full-time positions with the reserves? Is it easy to get such a position or is it competitive? Are they found only in certain regiments and certain job roles?

Thanks

If you can find a number give it a call.

Recruitment process is still going on where possible. Ie doctors appointment may be difficult.

Not being flippant or anything (and it is probably down to my ignorance) but fulltime reserve comes over as a bit of an oxymoron. How does that system work?

I would have said go round to your local TA hall and ask, but everything is probably locked down. There is a web page that may help Home - British Army Jobs. There doesn't seem to be a TA orientated page. Perhaps someone can set me straight on that?
"TA" Halls have been locked down since 2014. The OP would be better advised to try joining the 21st century and searching for Army Reserve instead.

Not being flippant or anything (and it is probably down to my ignorance) but fulltime reserve comes over as a bit of an oxymoron. How does that system work?
Well, you need to be a part time reservist first. There are a number of full time or more than some weekends and Tuesday evening jobs which are resourced to keep the Reserve running - Stores, admin, recruiting, social media wonk - you get the idea.

The_Duke

LE
Well, you need to be a part time reservist first. There are a number of full time or more than some weekends and Tuesday evening jobs which are resourced to keep the Reserve running - Stores, admin, recruiting, social media wonk - you get the idea.
And gaps in the regular establishment which are filled by reservist working full time. Opinions on quality may vary.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
FTRS roles are also open to ex-regulars. In your case, you would need to be a fully trained reservist first, then have the rank, experience and skillset the FTRS role requires. The jobs are listed on the Army website here:

Hey guys,

Planning on joining the army through RMAS. Currently 27, already applied for UK passport it should come through this June, the last intake I can make, because of my age, is May 2021. Might be a rain check on that one, because of COVID-19 (if previous applicants get rolled over to the next intake or something, I imagine the selection will be pretty tight/competitive).

Thinking of alternatives,does anyone know about full-time positions with the reserves? Is it easy to get such a position or is it competitive? Are they found only in certain regiments and certain job roles?

Thanks
If you are looking for a full-time career, then stick with the Regular Army. Whereas there might be a viable full-time reserve career in say, the US Army, the UK model is a bit different. If RMAS is not running courses by May 21, we will all be in the Sh1T. I would expect that the young officer sausage machine will still need roughly the same numbers over the next 12 months, so you may not see a reduction in total numbers marching up the white steps.

If you are after the chance of doing some interesting training for a few years, potential for a lot of full-time / near full-time working with a chance to deploy on operations before moving on, then the Army Reserve can certainly offer that (depending on your cap badge), what it won't do (other than in a random / piecemeal / job at a time fashion) is offer you the structured full-time career that you would get in the regulars.

Alternatively, given your age, you could look at RN or RAF which may have different age limits for DE officer entry.

Latest Threads