Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

FULL TIME REGULAR TO SAS RESERVE

01pc01

Crow
Just a quick question really, seen numerous posts on 23/21 and done a lot of reading but still struggling to find anyone who’s done this.

I’m a current serving regular RM (cue the cabbage hat jokes, I work with Paras so get a lot of that ) and am looking to complete a smooth transition from regular service into SAS Reserve. I’ve touched base with my local squadron, got the DIN etc and requirements ie BACS, Hills, SOPTAC etc, all I’m wanting really is to see if there’s anybody on here I can speak to directly who has actually done the Regular to Reserve pathway themselves, so can get an idea of timelines, how it works with work, did they have any issues with CoC, what are the dos and donts ie organising a BAC Via SAS(R) or via CoC etc. i know this all sounds very bone but Gen, just wanna touch base with someone who’s done it really. Ask a few quezzies get the pucker Gen rather than the recruitment Gen, know what I mean? And hopefully some advice and guidance.

Also, reason for SAS(R) rather than regular? Basically, wanting to be at home a bit more than I am at the moment but still be deployable and doing the job and pretty much having a better work/life balance. I understand it’s pretty much a full time job anyways, but, it’d be a little bit more on my terms. And my local Sqn is 20 minutes from my house. The operational output of SAS (R) sounds great and they get some pretty decent taskings, and having worked with them previously they all seemed to love it and have a great home to work life balance and were gen sound lads all over their skills and drills.

But yeah, apologies if this is the wrong place, or has been addressed previously, as I said, just after some Gen and advice really.

I'm not, and never have been part time Them, but I have had several conversations with some that are/were. One thing they did mention is that if you cant make an exercise etc, your commitment is questioned pretty much straightaway.
I've always said that in terms of priorities, it should be Family, Work, Reserves in that order. The impression i get from these conversations is the other way round.

That being said, this is just the impression i got from chatting to them. Actual experience is likely to be different!

Just a quick question really, seen numerous posts on 23/21 and done a lot of reading but still struggling to find anyone who’s done this.

I’m a current serving regular RM (cue the cabbage hat jokes, I work with Paras so get a lot of that ) and am looking to complete a smooth transition from regular service into SAS Reserve. I’ve touched base with my local squadron, got the DIN etc and requirements ie BACS, Hills, SOPTAC etc, all I’m wanting really is to see if there’s anybody on here I can speak to directly who has actually done the Regular to Reserve pathway themselves, so can get an idea of timelines, how it works with work, did they have any issues with CoC, what are the dos and donts ie organising a BAC Via SAS(R) or via CoC etc. i know this all sounds very bone but Gen, just wanna touch base with someone who’s done it really. Ask a few quezzies get the pucker Gen rather than the recruitment Gen, know what I mean? And hopefully some advice and guidance.

Also, reason for SAS(R) rather than regular? Basically, wanting to be at home a bit more than I am at the moment but still be deployable and doing the job and pretty much having a better work/life balance. I understand it’s pretty much a full time job anyways, but, it’d be a little bit more on my terms. And my local Sqn is 20 minutes from my house. The operational output of SAS (R) sounds great and they get some pretty decent taskings, and having worked with them previously they all seemed to love it and have a great home to work life balance and were gen sound lads all over their skills and drills.

But yeah, apologies if this is the wrong place, or has been addressed previously, as I said, just after some Gen and advice really.
I'm guessing you'll still have to satisfy the general requirements like normal intake, and guessing you'll start from scratch and that means going through the known A-Z from the start.

I'm not, and never have been part time Them, but I have had several conversations with some that are/were. One thing they did mention is that if you cant make an exercise etc, your commitment is questioned pretty much straightaway.
I've always said that in terms of priorities, it should be Family, Work, Reserves in that order. The impression i get from these conversations is the other way round.

That being said, this is just the impression i got from chatting to them. Actual experience is likely to be different!

This exactly mirrors my experience of knowing a couple of guys who went for Selection, and in one case got in only to leave quite soon after for these exact reasons.

Young, single persons game IMO. Same sketch with the DIN I've seen for the new Reserve Ranger unit where the commitment seems too much to be able to have more than two out of the three from Family, Civvy Job and Reserve Service.

Why not go RMR and the SB/SC route?
Because R Sqn, despite recruiting nationally, are based in Poole and that may not suit his circumstances. Like 21&23 they accept applications across all three services and there is no requirement to be Cdo trained. It hasn’t been a bootie only club for sometime now. If you wish to attempt SBS(R) selection, at this moment in time, you will be loaded onto the 21,23 selection pathway and will conduct build-up training with them albeit with badged SBS(R) ranks attending in order to monitor your progress before heading onto 3 weeks hills.

@MongMastermind

I'm guessing you'll still have to satisfy the general requirements like normal intake, and guessing you'll start from scratch and that means going through the known A-Z from the start.
That is incorrect and misleading guesswork I’m afraid mate. As a serving regular he will be eligible for a training waiver for A and B Basic Training and as a Royal Marine is likely to get one also for CIC. The Regular to Reserve Transfer process is something he can find out about at his unit, it is for those still serving in the regs who wish to transfer on termination of their regular contract. If he has just left then he can come in via the prior service re-joiner route (for those who have been out for a period of less than 12 months).

Last edited:
Because R Sqn, despite recruiting nationally, are based in Poole and that may not suit his circumstances. Like 21&23 they accept applications across all three services and there is no requirement to be Cdo trained. It hasn’t been a bootie only club for sometime now. If you wish to attempt SBS(R) selection, at this moment in time, you will be loaded onto the 21,23 selection pathway and will conduct build-up training with them albeit with badged SBS(R) ranks attending in order to monitor your progress before heading onto 3 weeks hills.

@MongMastermind

That is incorrect and misleading guesswork I’m afraid mate. As a serving regular he will be eligible for a training waiver for A and B Basic Training and as a Royal Marine is likely to get one also for CIC. The Regular to Reserve Transfer process is something he can find out about at his unit, it is for those still serving in the regs who wish to transfer on termination of their regular contract. If he has just left then he can come in via the prior service re-joiner route (for those who have been out for a period of less than 12 months).
Thanks for the correction ;)