Full time for 14 months?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by grotbag, Jul 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm a former UOTC cadet, now pursuing a career in civi street. I was due to start a training course this October but I have recently found out it will have to wait until next October. This gives me roughly a year to 'do' something. I'm not keen on the prospect of working a job I have no interest in for the next year and a bit and I am very keen to stay with the TA.

I inquired into transferring straight into my nearest TA unit after OTC but I was working unsociable hours and it simply wouldn't have worked.

Not joining the Army was the single biggest decision of my life, I am still keen to work in the TA whenever I can. Whilst a year isn't long enough to consider a regular application, is there any way I could work within the TA on a full time basis over the next year and then remain on a part time basis thereafter? I have a friend who completed a 'TA gap year' before joining uni. Do they still offer schemes like this?

Thanks in advance for any constructive commentary!
  2. 4 para do a gap year (or did do when I was there). Go on their website and if there is one running it'll be on there. I think you'll have to be quick though as I'm sure they start in august.