Full Metal Jacket: Filmed In Britain!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Canashea, Aug 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket was entirely filmed in Britain, I found out this becouse the Choppers were British Westland Wessex's which is a licenced copy of the US Sikorsky H-34 Seabat/Seahorse/Choctaw.

Bassingbourne Barracks was used for the 'Parris Island Boot Camp' scenes

Beckton Gas Works was used for the Vietnam scenes, The Chopper shooting was filmed in the Norfolk Broads
  2. No sh1t sherlock.

Take it when you were watching it you didn't see that the road markings were on "our" side of the road, nor the Bedford 4 tonner in the background of the assualt course scene....

Or read the credits at the end which clearly state where they filmed ie bassingbourne.

3. Has it really taken you 19 years to unearth these well known facts?

Are you in the SIB?
  4. Well done, you. Well done.
  5. Lee Emery really was a Gunny Sgt. too!
  6. And it was about the US Marine Corps in Basic and in Vietnam.
  7. And the sergeant wasn't very polite to the lads... 8O
  8. Now that's just crazy talk...!
  9. You better square your ass away and start shitting me Tiffany cufflinks!
  10. Actually you could argue he was, read that page a bit closer, lower down in the Trvia area it says

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

And was'nt the Vietnam scene filmed on the site of a old disussed industrial estate/Power Station in London,I believe.
  12. Aye, because that's the same as having done it for real. :roll:
  13. Just like the Green Berets had a statue of John Wayne in a "The Green Berets" pose, even though he hadn't been in the Green Berets.
  14. As a little anecdotal aside, a PSI at my former UOTC listed among his limited credits appearing in the film. He and some of his oppos were comandeered to make up the extras for the assault course type scenes on Parris Island - he was RLC badged but not sure if he was in basic or not at that point.

Anyone else got a claim to fame?