Full listing of US Army Field Manuals

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by msr, Feb 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I still find it ridiculous that after all this time and fighting two such operations for some years, there still isn't a formal COIN manual listed here. The counter-guerilla manual doesn't cut it.

I know there was a draft copy (FM 3.07) which was written in 2004 but that draft "expired" last year. It wasn't v good (pretty much a bastardisation of the UK AFM Vol 1 Pt 10 with some utterly bizarre Americanisms thrown in for good measure) but it was something.

Perhaps the US has just given up with even attempting to deal with the idea of "hearts and minds".

Any yanks out there who can comment?

3. FM 3-24 (Counterinsurgency) was released in Dec of '06. The current CIC in Iraq, Gen. Petraeus oversaw it's production.

Here is the LINK (caution, very large PDF).

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Cheers, Virgil

First look it is a huge step forward. Good news that the USMC are using the same document. Their Small Wars Manual was v good but it was a little dated.

I like the bit

I take it that's the English giving the Scots and Irish a good kicking!? :thumleft:

I also like

It is generally best to learn from lessons closest to home. A lesson that appears to have been learned in the production of this document.

All we need now is for the yanks at a tactical level to start applying the mentality called for. Perhaps in time for the next war? :winkrazz:

5. " How are you getting on in the colonies Virgil? Managing alright since we left are you?"

6. Interesting Document Virgil.
    I thought that the following was particularly pertinent:

Attached Files: