Fuelling for morning PT

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Absent_Minded, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning Gentlemen,

I'm still NIG, so apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm having trouble getting enough calories down my neck to perform decently in morning PT. My choices seem to be either eat nothing and not throw up, or go to breakfast as early as possible, and yet still have to run 45 minutes later. The results of that being me seeing my breakfast again a few miles in, and getting stitches.

May I enquire as to what those older and wiser than me do to overcome this?

Should I just eat anyway, and absorb as much nutrients as possible before the run? Or eat something small and sugary, like a chocolate bar etc?

Many thanks,

OCdt A_M
  2. bannanas work for me
  3. Tricky one, I dont really agree with early PT for this reason. If you want people to get fit they need to be able to work hard for a sustained period and that is hard to do without fuel. If you eat then do pt you run the risk of this problem! Far better done mid am, breakfast digested and body hydrated- no excuse not to perform.
    I suggest try to ensure that you are not de-hydrated when you go to bed. Toast is a good b'fast if you have to eat.
  4. A_M, what are you eating at the moment, and what other options do you have?
  5. I'd go with 762baynet on this one. Chuck water down your neck the evening before and a couple of slices of toast in the morning. Anything more and I'm 5 finger spreading alles uber.
  6. Thanks for the comments so far.

As for what I'm eating, I'm currently on the Pre RMAS course with the AGC. Unfortunately the mess isn't all it could be, and the only real option of getting a significant amount of calories is a core full breakfast. Not the most fitness-inducing meal available!
  7. If you are eating loads and drinking by gulping that is why you get a stitch. If you must drink in the AM (and I suggest you do) make sure that you sip. Go for a light meal and eat at a steady pace.
  8. If you have 45 minutes between breakfast and PT then snaffle a mars bar or two. Bananas are also very dood (as stated by D_S). Make sure you don't eat too much; you have opportunity after PT to eat.

There are also glucose tablets you can chew which disolve very quickly and give good boosts of energy.

However unless you are SAS then your normal morning PT should not be so tiring: do phys in your own time. e.g. Morning run (obligatory Coy/Bty pt). Instead of shoving a ginsters down your face at lunchtime go for a 30 minute jog in the woods or head to the gym and do a cardio session. Then have a ginsters.
    When you finish work have a game of squash with a friend (or join the squah ladder) or some other activity apart from heading back to your room and playstation or Bty/Sqn/Coy bar/NAAFI.

Weight drops off/muscle builds up and the normal PT becomes just that: normal. Not a struggle.
  9. What is the PT you are doing? Running?

Sorry, but this advice is not only complete garbage, also hazardous. Plus, you should well know that its a chargeable offence to skip breakfast.
    He isn't on operations, he is training to get fit for operations. This requires fueling. Your body will use fuel readily available in the bloodstream first.

I imagine your military breakfast "options" to be sausage, beans, bacon and egg? Very high in fat and low on carbs which makes you feel full, but is the worst thing you could be using for fueling an AM run. Get some bread/toast down your neck, plenty of water and ideally a lean protein source. I imagine this is the difficult bit in your circumstances; if possible, powdered whey protein is a good option, but carbs are your main priority mate.
  10. I don't like training early in the morning simply because I don't get a chance to eat and if I do I will end up with a stich. Although I do make an effort to train miday wherever possible.

I think a banna may be ok to eat in the morning as its fairly small and high in energy.
  11. I noticed that I feel more energised in the morning if I eat well the night before, and not foods that are rapidly digested, such as pasta, but foods that contain more protein and digest slowly, such as meat. In the morning I take a glass or two of water and a teaspoon or two of sugar, before exercising. Otherwise, any more food would make me throw up, and any less would make me go yellow and faint.
  12. The thing is to get enough water too the night before, since meat is heavy to digest and may dehydrate you, especially if it's salty, like smoked meat.
  13. any packet of haribos, quick intake of sugar
  14. I go for a hearty dinner the night before and for early morning banana and berocca works a treat. I have been using this for the last 5 years and it works even for my aging bod. Berocca is easily available in boots and is an Alka Seltsor type soluable that gives you your daily dose of vitamins. Usually I would say what a load of tosh - but I tried it and for me it works - there was a noticable difference in how I felt. Its also handy to have a glass of water with one of these and a couple of nurofen after a good night on the beer - no hangover the next day - result!

Basically everyone is different - you will find what works for you eventually - key thing is not to give up looking or trying. Else you do not deserve to be a member of the fine Officer Corps.

15. You have to look at substrate utilisation and what your body uses as fuel. In an ideal, normal environment, your body and brain prefers glucose (a monosaccharide, simple sugar) for fuel. This can come in the form of recently injested food, gylcogen stores, or in more advanced cases through protein and fat metabolism pathways. Put simply carbs give you performance energy, not fats and proteins.

As stated many times in this thread, the type of activity will determine the type and amount of fuel. Slow-acting carbs are your friend. The night before and prior to exercise.