Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Fuel to work allowance

FiveAlpha said:
wooly - there are certain criteria regarding distances etc. For HTD - Home to duty (i.e pad to work for example), you have to pay the first 3 miles yourself. Get You Home for married unnacompanied it just about covers the cost of 4 journeys home a month. It gets paid at a daily rate depending on how far away you live. If you're on ex or ops then it stops as you cant be in receipt of GYH and LSA (seperation allowance).

5a I can see where your coming from and I don't blame anyone claiming this benefit if it is available, I would also if I was still serving. However I know from where I live many on the lads and lasses have to travel from Burghfield Common to RAF Odiham and it's 16 miles each way, as the quarters on base are crap, and one's in Burghfield very good in comparrison. However, most people I know in civvie st, would think nothing of travelling 15 -20 miles each way to and from work and find this reasonable and they don't get any government handouts towards their travel expenses.

The allowance is not keeping me in clover it just about stops me going under, with the cut the pressure is truly on. If I was on civvy street I would have dropped the job and made more on benefits. Being in green I dont have that choice and have to work where I am told. For the last two years I have had to live on a budget, tv is three years old, my car is eleven years old, the newest piece of white goods is a hoover from a second hand shop. We have not had a family holiday in three years, mortgage has shot up, child benefit helps with clothes and food for kids. I shop in Aldi and the highlight of the week is a chinese meal. We dont have sky TV, relying on a freeview box. The cost of living has risen. The one thing the army does to keep my head above water you accuse of being a gravy train.

The cost of living is high, please dont berate servicemen on here for recieving help.

woolyback_bastard said:
FiveAlpha said:
wooly - there are certain criteria regarding distances etc. For HTD - Home to duty (i.e pad to work for example), you have to pay the first 3 miles yourself. Get You Home for married unnacompanied it just about covers the cost of 4 journeys home a month. It gets paid at a daily rate depending on how far away you live. If you're on ex or ops then it stops as you cant be in receipt of GYH and LSA (seperation allowance).

5a I can see where your coming from and I don't blame anyone claiming this benefit if it is available, I would also if I was still serving. However I know from where I live many on the lads and lasses have to travel from Burghfield Common to RAF Odiham and it's 16 miles each way, as the quarters on base are crap, and one's in Burghfield very good in comparrison. However, most people I know in civvie st, would think nothing of travelling 15 -20 miles each way to and from work and find this reasonable and they don't get any government handouts towards their travel expenses.

Yep fair enough WB, but their employer isn't forcing them to live in a location miles from their place of work.

Given your other posts it's starting to sound like you begrudge us anything at all.

woolyback_bastard said:
However, most people I know in civvie st, would think nothing of travelling 15 -20 miles each way to and from work and find this reasonable and they don't get any government handouts towards their travel expenses.

They also only work 37.5 hours a week, get weekends off, and don't get shot at (Cumbrian cabbies excepted) There's no comparison.

armadillo said:
The allowance is not keeping me in clover it just about stops me going under, with the cut the pressure is truly on. If I was on civvy street I would have dropped the job and made more on benefits. Being in green I dont have that choice and have to work where I am told. For the last two years I have had to live on a budget, tv is three years old, my car is eleven years old, the newest piece of white goods is a hoover from a second hand shop. We have not had a family holiday in three years, mortgage has shot up, child benefit helps with clothes and food for kids. I shop in Aldi and the highlight of the week is a chinese meal. We dont have sky TV, relying on a freeview box. The cost of living has risen. The one thing the army does to keep my head above water you accuse of being a gravy train.

The cost of living is high, please dont berate servicemen on here for recieving help.

I'm not berating anyone, your finacial circumstance are the same as many many people in civvie street, in fact many are worse off and many better off. However they don't get financial help to and from work, which is one hell of a perk.

wooly - I'm coming to the end of my time now. I served in the eighties and through the nineties when there weren't the financial 'retentio' for want of a better word, incentives. The army nowadays is a more misplaced community than it was. The single blokes dont all live in one big block, pads dont all live in one estate. We're scattered due to lack of quarters, building programmes and the like. Don't begrudge us an allowance so we can actually afford to see our families in the rare down time we have.

BPS666 said:
woolyback_bastard said:
FiveAlpha said:

Yep fair enough WB, but their employer isn't forcing them to live in a location miles from their place of work.

Given your other posts it's starting to sound like you begrudge us anything at all.

Beat me to it.......

It's the option of choice that's missing. I can choice to accept a job that involves high trvaelling costs (not just in money but time, which also has a money) or not. When serving, I have little or no input in where I live in relation to where I work. If the nearest SLA is x miles away then it's "Tough shite, get on with it......"

woolyback_bastard said:
armadillo said:

I'm not berating anyone, your finacial circumstance are the same as many many people in civvie street, in fact many are worse off and many better off. However they don't get financial help to and from work, which is one hell of a perk.

And I say again, Civvy employers don't require you to live miles from your place of work. Which bit of that don't you get?

FiveAlpha said:
woolyback_bastard said:
armadillo said:
plant_life said:
Well it's on DII that the Public Sector pay freeze WILL affect Armed Forces personnel (less those on under £21K). My concern is that if we are not having a pay rise for the next two years when it comes to the AFPRB will our charges (food, accommodation etc) not increase either? If they do, there will be a lot of very p155ed off forces personnel.

tossers, does that affect our incremental pay increase, does that mean when promoted I wont get paid for that rank. I am bloody struggling as it is, do they realise we have a VAT increase? Fuel duty is due to go up. So we are being penalised for working hard to get promoted. My fuel to work allowance has been cut 20% when fuel increased. Insurance premiums will go up, so I am being penalised for working hard whilst lord and lady chav can sit at home on welfare.

You do everything you can to improve yourself then Labour fukk it up for you. Cheers Mr Brown

Is there anyone else apart from me think he's taking the piss with Feul to work allowance.

No. I get nearly £300 a month in fuel allowance (GYH(m) and HTD) as married unnacompanied. If the allowance was stopped I wouldn't be able to afford to see my family. It's classed as a retention tool, especially when pads estates are in a dire state and some of us want a better quality of life, stability and schooling for our kids and partners. Basically - Cheers Easy!

You were lucky. I was only allowed on claim a month at PTR to see my family when the army posted me and my family to Lodge Hill, Kent and a month later 33 posted me to Farnborough, Hants. And when I moved my family to Farnborough, 33 posted me temporarily to Brighton :x After 9 months, as I was about to move my family to Brighton, the bastards posted me back to Lodge Hill. By that time my daughter was doing well in school and I just didn't want to dislocate her education so I commuted from Farnborough to Lodge Hill daily for 3 years at my own expense - bar one poxy claim at PTR a month. :x :x When I left Brighton the MOD was closing the camp down and some basted nicked all the central heating oil. Apparently diesel cars will run on it. :)

BPS666 said:

No not at all, I personally don't think the forces are paid enough, how can they be paid substantially lower than a copper. The biggers fear most of them have is getting spat at on a Friday and Saturday night. I don't think anyone should be expected to join the forces for less than £20,000 per year. If MOD can't pay this then taxes IMO opinion should be raised to allow a decent wage. Then and only then would these hidden perks be able to be taken away.

eodmatt said:
You were lucky. I was only allowed on claim a month at PTR to see my family when the army posted me and my family to Lodge Hill, Kent and a month later 33 posted me to Farnborough, Hants. And when I moved my family to Farnborough, 33 posted me temporarily to Brighton :x After 9 months, as I was about to move my family to Brighton, the bastards posted me back to Lodge Hill. By that time my daughter was doing well in school and I just didn't want to dislocate her education so I commuted from Farnborough to Lodge Hill daily for 3 years at my own expense - bar one poxy claim at PTR a month. :x :x When I left Brighton the MOD was closing the camp down and some basted nicked all the central heating oil. Apparently diesel cars will run on it. :)

It will mate but don't go expecting it to run for very long. Better off with chip fat and vodka in my opinion

woolyback_bastard said:
BPS666 said:

No not at all, I personally don't think the forces are paid enough, how can they be paid substantially lower than a copper. The biggers fear most of them have is getting spat at on a Friday and Saturday night. I don't think anyone should be expected to join the forces for less than £20,000 per year. If MOD can't pay this then taxes IMO opinion should be raised to allow a decent wage. Then and only then would these hidden perks be able to be taken away.

Why do you view it as a perk? Personally I see dole money as perk and disabled living allowance as a perk and a whole host of other things as a perk - do you intend to remove all of them as well?

WB lets put it this way. My wife and I both serve. We are not same capbadge and thankfully we are posted together at this stage. Do you think it fair that when we are posted 80 miles apart (through no choice or fault of our own) that we shouldn't see each other or our kids?

Home to Duty Travel(HDT) is paid at 25p per mile, to a maximum of 50 miles. If you live in SFA or SLA then you pay the first mile. If you live in private accommodation, then you pay the first 9 miles.
Get You Home Travel (GYH(T) is to reimburse Service Personnel who, due to exingencies of service, cannot travel dialy to work, and has a minimum limit of 50 miles, and is designed to fund two return trips home per month.