Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Fuel to work allowance

armadillo said:
plant_life said:
Well it's on DII that the Public Sector pay freeze WILL affect Armed Forces personnel (less those on under £21K). My concern is that if we are not having a pay rise for the next two years when it comes to the AFPRB will our charges (food, accommodation etc) not increase either? If they do, there will be a lot of very p155ed off forces personnel.

tossers, does that affect our incremental pay increase, does that mean when promoted I wont get paid for that rank. I am bloody struggling as it is, do they realise we have a VAT increase? Fuel duty is due to go up. So we are being penalised for working hard to get promoted. My fuel to work allowance has been cut 20% when fuel increased. Insurance premiums will go up, so I am being penalised for working hard whilst lord and lady chav can sit at home on welfare.

You do everything you can to improve yourself then Labour fukk it up for you. Cheers Mr Brown

Is there anyone else apart from me think he's taking the piss with Feul to work allowance. FFS this is one benefit that has to be stopped staight away. Does he think the rest of society should be entitled to the same fcuking gravy train, as civvies work also? I thought it was just politicians and scroungers who thought they was entitled to free handouts.

I don't know what job he does that entitles him to this as I didn't receive any fuel allowance to get to work when I was serving.

Did you get it when you were in?

The only fuel allowance I was entitled to was when I went home on leave and that was granted in lieu of a travel warrant.

woolyback_bastard said:
armadillo said:
plant_life said:
Well it's on DII that the Public Sector pay freeze WILL affect Armed Forces personnel (less those on under £21K). My concern is that if we are not having a pay rise for the next two years when it comes to the AFPRB will our charges (food, accommodation etc) not increase either? If they do, there will be a lot of very p155ed off forces personnel.

tossers, does that affect our incremental pay increase, does that mean when promoted I wont get paid for that rank. I am bloody struggling as it is, do they realise we have a VAT increase? Fuel duty is due to go up. So we are being penalised for working hard to get promoted. My fuel to work allowance has been cut 20% when fuel increased. Insurance premiums will go up, so I am being penalised for working hard whilst lord and lady chav can sit at home on welfare.

You do everything you can to improve yourself then Labour fukk it up for you. Cheers Mr Brown

Is there anyone else apart from me think he's taking the piss with Feul to work allowance.

No. I get nearly £300 a month in fuel allowance (GYH(m) and HTD) as married unnacompanied. If the allowance was stopped I wouldn't be able to afford to see my family. It's classed as a retention tool, especially when pads estates are in a dire state and some of us want a better quality of life, stability and schooling for our kids and partners. Basically - Cheers Easy!

Cheers 5A, that explains why I had not heard of it - I was single and married accompanied whilst serving so wouldn't have qualified .

Fair comment :)

Bodhisattva said:
I don't know what job he does that entitles him to this as I didn't receive any fuel allowance to get to work when I was serving.

Did you get it when you were in?

The only fuel allowance I was entitled to was when I went home on leave and that was granted in lieu of a travel warrant.

Same here, this is all anyone was entitled to to best of my knowledge. Maybe some pads who where serving during 80's and 90's can say if it has always been available to married personnel or just a new gravy train.

As far as I'm aware it was introduced about 7 or 8 years ago. Singlies don't receive it. My car used to be full of the young lads cadging a free trip home and why not when I was getting paid for it.

FiveAlpha said:
No. I get nearly £300 a month in fuel allowance (GYH(m) and HTD) as married unnacompanied. If the allowance was stopped I wouldn't be able to afford to see my family. It's classed as a retention tool, especially when pads estates are in a dire state and some of us want a better quality of life, stability and schooling for our kids and partners. Basically - Cheers Easy!

That seems fair enough if MOD can't provide the decent quaters that our forces staff well and truly deserve. However is there a limit on what can be claimed as £75 per week is a hell of a lot of money? Do you have to live with a certain radius of the base to claim this? I can't imagine that vast majority of people spend more than £25-£30 per week in fuel. This allowance should only cover the cost of fuel, but unless your travelling a very large distance is does appear that some could be making huge profits on this allowance. If this sounds like I'm having a moan at you, I'm not in anyway just asking a question.

woolyback_bastard said:
FiveAlpha said:

That seems fair enough if MOD can't provide the decent quaters that our forces staff well and truly deserve. However is there a limit on what can be claimed as £75 per week is a hell of a lot of money? Do you have to live with a certain radius of the base to claim this? I can't imagine that vast majority of people spend more than £25-£30 per week in fuel. This allowance should only cover the cost of fuel, but unless your travelling a very large distance is does appear that some could be making huge profits on this allowance. If this sounds like I'm having a moan at you, I'm not in anyway just asking a question.

I am married unaccompanied cheers 5A though I dont get as much as you.

Woolyback why didnt you just PM me I could have saved you the hassle of opening another thread I am straight up bloke. :?

Cheers

Mr A

wooly - there are certain criteria regarding distances etc. For HTD - Home to duty (i.e pad to work for example), you have to pay the first 3 miles yourself. Get You Home for married unnacompanied it just about covers the cost of 4 journeys home a month. It gets paid at a daily rate depending on how far away you live. If you're on ex or ops then it stops as you cant be in receipt of GYH and LSA (seperation allowance).

The residence to place of duty fuel allowance is almost impossible to make a profit on without committing some kind of fraud. For an average vehicle it does not even cover the cost of fuel, let alone depreciation/servicing etc. The per-mile allowance had been cut recently which makes no sense as fuel prices are higher.

It used to be that, as a married serviceman/woman you would expect a quarter within walking/cycling distance of your workplace. Service personnel were not "expected" to own a vehicle. That is now no longer a valid model for a great proportion of the service community.

The allowance is only paid under specific circumstances and if your residence is over a certain distance (5 miles I believe although I could be wrong about the detail). Lets say you travel 25 miles, you get paid the allowance for only 20. Basically the allowance makes up for the fact that the Army cannot provide adequate quarters both in terms of quality, quantity and location.

There are other travel allowances that account for, for instance, leave travel and so on. All such allowances are carefully scrutinised as part of the remuneration package and are paid as compensation for the unique circumstances of military life.

armadillo said:
Woolyback why didnt you just PM me I could have saved you the hassle of opening another thread I am straight up bloke. :?

Cheers

Mr A

It was nothing personal, its just I'm stunned with this fuel allowance which on the outside does look like one hell of a gravy train for married personell within the forces. However by starting another thread we can see what others think and also maybe learn wether this allowance is justified or just another gravy train as it at first appeared. I really hope it is not a gravy train, otherwise it make a lot of people look very silly who have been shouting their mouths off about people getting freebies from the state.

It's most definately not a gravy train. It was introduced when more and more soldiers were buying their own properties for stability purposes. If it were stopped, then a lot of the blokes (me included) would struggle financially trying to see their families on stand downs. It's not like it's paying for a brand new motor every year - it didn't cover the cost when fuel was at the pound a litre mark.

WB,

I am assuming you have no real contact with the Army. there is NO gravy train. Any allowances we are entitled to are scrutinised very carefully and, if there was even a hint of an excuse, would have been taken away from us already.

Take your witch-hunt elsewhere.