Fuel prices

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by woolyback_bastard, Mar 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Those sharks better known as BP are charging £1.42 a litre at their site on A303 near to junction M3. Are these crooks now selling the most expensive diesel in the UK?

2. Nope. Thats not far off average price countrywide

3. Yep £1.40 round ere' in gloooouuuustersher.

4. BP probably get less than 50p out of that price. It's the gobment that are the sharks.

5. Where still under £1.40 in Fleet, every penny these twats put on adds hundreds of pounds on to running costs and we can't pass it on.

6. When fuel first hit £1.20 I started doing 70 on the motorway and I now spend less on fuel than I did before. Feels ultra-frustrating at first, but it really works. Plus it doesn't actually take noticeably longer to get anywhere.

7. Yes I already use petrolprices.com daily, saves a small fortune just locally when vehicles are doing 60,000 - 100,000 miles per year. Just been looking at prices on Fuel Price Reports : AA fuel price reports 2000 to 2010 - The AA to see what price's where when Blair stood on his soap box back in 2000 during the fuel protests. Prices then where a very reasonable £0.87 pence per litre. Time for transport industry to bring the country to a standstill until someone listens.

8. There is a very happy bus company owner local to me.

A couple of years ago he made a deal with one of the fuel companies (Aral I think) to pre-buy five years worth of diesel for his company at a price that was about 10% more than the pump prices then. So about 1.15 Euro a litre.

He is laughing like a drain now.

9. BBC breakdown

It's a few years out of date now, but when we were all outraged at petrol hitting 90p - £1 a litre the oil companies were pocketing about 6p from that litre.

10. I personally think that despite further increases to come, there ain't anything going to give. We may, as individuals drive a little more conservatively, put off buying that new motor or downsize to something more fuel efficient but that's about it. Maybe if the haulage and transport companies manage to organise we'll see fuel drop by 5 or 10 pence a litre, but by then that'll bring us back to £1.50 or so. The fuel companies are extracting, refining, transporting and selling fuel for less than bottled water so they aren't going to drop the price anytime soon. The government are clawing in billions in fuel revenue at a time when they are grasping at every penny they can drag out of us. It's shit, but aside from buying a bike, what we gonna do?

11. I remember in the late 60's or early 70's that due to fuel shortages/fuel cost rising that the national speed limits were reduced to conserve fuel.

Will this happen again?

I am surpised that the transport industry has not kicked off as the pump price is now nearly twice the price of the earlier protests a few years back.

Interesting times ahead!!!

First parade those TTFS.

Fuel costs in Milton Keynes yesterday at Morrisons was £1-29 a litre, my first £50 outlay to fill the tank.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Whcih considerng what they do to actually get it out of the ground etc isn't bad

Read a good piece today stating that fuel prices will go the other way before long
    The piece was stating that once the middle east states have had their revolution they will start pumping oil like nobodies business
    It was stating that the population will no longer work for a couple of Dollars a week under a dictator
    They will want to be nice rich Arabs like Kuwait
    So in order to pay for it they will swamp the place with oil and the price will tumble

nless of course the Govermet keep it high so they can pretend they are saving the planet

13. £50?
    You Jammy bastard, we can't fill either car at the Tesco pay at pump thing as it's a £99 limit !

14. Serves you right for driving a VLCC instead of nice fluffy planet saving pushbike..