Fuel Poverty: One in three Households

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by abrecan, Oct 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And the other 50% on beer and fags.

Edit: Plus 40% on other stuff of course.

2. I myself am suffering from whiskey poverty, who do I talk to about a sub?

Edited to add: I've just worked out I'm suffering from Ginsters poverty as well.

I'm still working on the figures for B&H poverty but I have to tell you it's not looking good.....

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Best thing about my place (which I rent) is that it has a card meter as the students in here before didn't pay the bill. Its fantastic when it comes to using gas I'm now tighter than a ducks chuff. I check the meter frequently and adjust gas usage according to daily spend.

4. Biscuits.....I have both, electric and gas cards, they help me.

5. Don't worry. Mr Brown understands all of our concerns and is doing his utmost to help us all out.
    Fukinglyingcnut that he is.

6. what utter bullocks......Now if the figure of income spent on fuel hit 25% then I'd worry.

7. Kitmarlow said....what utter bullocks......NOW IF THE FIGURE OF INCOME SPENT on fuel hit 25% then I'd worry.... [my capitals]...
    I missread that as "NOW IS THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT" ... which I suppose is quite appropriate.

8. I'm sure rather more than one in three households leave lights on in empty rooms, use standby rather than the off-switch and sit around in shorts and t-shirts with the heating on full tilt. I'm betting that figure will drop sharply once people learn to adjust their behaviour to suit their wallets. That USB dancing flower can't really be called 'essential', now can it?

GB might have given 'prudence' a bad name, but I'm still convinced a lot more people need to learn it. They're not going to have a whole lot of choice in the next year or two, and no bad thing IMO.

9. Ooooh...Too true...

just not to such who "made glorious summer by this sun of York " is going to be :)

10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

People have never before had so much disposable income.

We're doomed I tell you, we're all doomed. :roll:

11. My council tax costs more than 10% of my income. As others have said, you can cut your fuel consumption. You can't cut your council tax (without moving), the bu99ers still take it. How about fixing that Mr. Brown?

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

After fuel, gas, electric and council tax, there's not much left in the kitty for most people. If they smoke and drink it's even worse.

13. All rubbish then , is it? Obviously everybody is wrong then, are they?

So, it's all boll+cks and can't possibly be true. According to contributors, we deserve big bills. So there. We waste too much energy, we do.

For those in the real world, who can't afford to be arrogant, some are in abject poverty and getting charged huge bills by foreign owned energy companies. Some companies are charging ridiculous upfront fees of up to fifty pounds per month direct debit, BEFORE you use their supplies. Maybe it's not "bollocks" huh? But of course, we're all wrong...

Quotes

"Unite (union) said that since 2003, energy firms have increased their profits by 538% to £3bn and raised prices by up to 35% this year alone"

"energy firms expected to make billions of pounds in windfall profits over the next four years."

"MP Claims Energy Firms Are Greedy
    Local MP Tom Clarke accused energy firms of being ‘greedy’ and ‘draining the lifeblood out of every low-income household in Britain’ during a recent debate in Parliament on the ever increasing domestic energy bills for consumers. He secured the backing of MPs from all the main parties who joined forces in Westminster to demand that suppliers should act now by cutting their prices to consumers."

"The UK Government and power industry regulators were called on last night to "turn the tide of discrimination against Britain's poorest energy consumers" whose fuel bills are proportionately higher than the better-off.

Energywatch, in its final annual report, noted that despite the well-documented impact of soaring energy prices on the poorest consumers, energy companies still "extort the poor" while reserving their cheapest deals for their more affluent customers.

Those on pre-payment meters (PPMs) and those paying by standard credit routinely pay far more for the same amount of energy than can be justified by the extra costs in financing those particular payment methods, claimed the watchdog."

However, Energywatch said that a consumer checking the cheapest online energy deals would be shocked to discover that over a year British Gas charged PPM customers £567 more than online customers, E.on £411 more, Npower £378 more, ScottishPower £172 more and SSE £167 more. EDF, meantime, had no equivalent tariff.

It pointed out how Ofgem, the industry regulator, estimated that the extra cost to energy companies of serving a PPM household was approximately £80 per year if it had a prepayment meter for both gas and electricity.

"Energy suppliers are preying on their poorest customers with discriminatory tariffs that squeeze extra revenue out of PPM users, who include many of those least able to afford to pay their energy bills and least able to switch," said Allan Asher, Energywatch's chief executive."

Gordon Brown unveiled a £910million package to help homes cope with fuel bills - but critics said it will do little to help this winter.

The Prime Minister vowed to end the scandal of firms ramping up prices for two million households on pre-payment meters.

14. http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Markets/RetMkts/ensuppro/Documents1/Energy%20Supply%20Probe%20-%20Initial%20Findings%20Report.pdf

Pay per meter

"PPM tariffs are, on average, broadly cost reflective. Nevertheless, many
    PPM customers are switching to worse deals as a result of direct selling
    􀃎 Standard credit customers are paying a premium over direct debit that
    appears not to be fully cost justified
    􀃎 Rebalancing of margins across customers would benefit vulnerable
    consumers and improve the prospects of new entrants"

So it's do with doorstep selling, pop up sales teams in your towns, and "reactive" customers not taking advantage of the market is it?