Fuel Duty

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by stabradop, Jun 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Hmm, I'm not going to sign it. World wide supply and demand will bring fuel back to a reasonable cost -eventually.

I do not agree that we should give any power to HMG to "set" national fuel prices at "an acceptable level". What is acceptable? Do we say that acceptable is the amount HMG needs to raise in taxes equatable to last years returns but with an increase for inflation? Barking.

Should it be a % of the fuel cost or a set amount? The market is too volatile to me to trust HMG in getting it right in the short term and the complexity to maintain "an acceptable" price would be v difficult.

My only exception to this would be for a cut in duty for businesses such as Haulage firms, who are suffering in being unable to compete with international firms, able to put a week's load of fuel in their wagons in France, then drive to UK for business, allowing them to undercut UK competitors.
  2. This would be akin to bringing down fuel costs just as they did in 1973/4? Me thinks not old son.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Times are a little different. The price in oil is a problem of confidence, just as then, but the market and worlds economy are v different. Commodities and oil prices are largely being driven up by the market over concentrating in one area. The spread of thought on this has oil correctly valued between $75 and 200+ . The oil companies are using the lower figures, Bear Stein (now ex-investment bank) were saying $200+ - I wonder why?

I don't expect it to drop too much but I am looking for a price of closer to the $100 mark sometime later this year.