Fuel Card for cheap fuel.

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Sam_Fisher, Mar 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have registered for this fuel card in the hopethat I will get a reduction in my fuel bills. I f you want more info go to www.pipelinecard.org. It is all self explanitory, the more people in the better.
  3. I signed up for this sometime ago. I get regular email updates. If I remember correctly, their membership is approaching 100,000.

They are targeting cheaper fuel, but are also considering Utilities too (Gas and Elec)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

4. I signed up a few weeks back - It says membership is currently (well two weeks ago) 370,000
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Scammell starts off saying that he needs 100000 members to get the discount, the site says he has 260000 members and no sign of a discount.

The margins in the industry are too tight to warrant the £0.05 - £0.10 ppl that he claims to be offering.
  6. They are also looking at central heating oil.
  7. same here
  8. I just got in through Yahoo UK and it's still 260,000 members. Got the same problem with the link on here.
  9. Haa haaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Exxon Mobil, the world's largest publicly traded oil company, earned more than $25 billion last year
    BP, which earned $16.2 billion in 2004.
    the world's 10 biggest oil companies earned more than $100 billion in 2004.

Those figures are the profit made by the oil companies BTW. The figures for 2005 are even higher.

Exxon made $9.92 billion in the third quarter 2005, Royal Dutch Shell reported net income up 68% to $9 billion Thursday. Earlier this week, BP (BP) reported a $6.5 billion third-quarter profit and ConocoPhillips (COP) a $3.8 billion profit. Today, ChevronTexaco (CVX) is expected to post 53% higher earnings of $3.9 billion.

This is all in a 3 month period of 2005..

Tight margins?
  10. Greedy feckers more like!!!!
  11. Mr_Fingerz

All true. However, the vast majority of those profits are made upstream (exploration anc extraction). Downstream profits - refining, marketing and distribution are tiny. As this is the area where Scammell will be trying to take a cut, I can't see any of the majors wanting to be involved.
  12. Of course the major companies won't want to be involved, they have shareholder dividends to pay and want to buy back their own shares.

Might be possible to get one of the smaller distribution companies interested though. Here in Germany any member of the ADAC (AA for boxheads) can get a 1% discount on fuel bought from Agip stations.

So it is do-able. Sort of.
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Smaller distribution companies and supermarket chains don't have shareholders dividends to pay?
  14. Ahh but potentially increasing their customer base by some 100,000 or more loyal consumers more than makes up for the discount given.
  15. Mr_Fingerz

Mr Scammell has 160000 signatories more than he originally asked for. There's still no sign of a discount from any of the oil companies. I can't see BPAmoco, Shell UK, ChevronTexaco, TotalFinaElf, Esso, Sainsburies, Tesco, or Morrisons signing up to this.