Fucked lawn advice please

Lawn was overun with dandelions. I went nuclear with killer and it has resulted in dead spots. The lawn is very wet with poor drainage and has several types of grasses going on. What would be the best way to start making it presentable? Can i just chuck seed over it abd let nature take its course?
Cheers. ImageUploadedByARRSE1331065201.287144.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

groundforce.jpg

cable.jpg

For a small fee, Groundfarce can come around. I'm well good at gardening.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
seriously , dig it over and start again with either turf or seed . its the right time of year to give it a go . Dig some rough sand in as well to assist drainage. by the time
you fart about with the patches it would be quicker and better to dig it all up .
t

If you've fucked your lawn, it's Sods Law that the lawn is going to germinate and you'll be the proud Father of a new born turf !

That's the poofs method, give it a good mow, them chuck this on a few days later. Use the whole container on what you show in the pic.
Water it, a lot if it isn't raining, though your lawn may well resemble a napalm attack, like mine did.

This kills weeds, and shit types of grass (apparently), you will be left with the good stuff.

spreader.jpg

Green Thumb. Every time.
And no, I'm not on commission. Spend a bit more to get it right first time.
Just google them.

Cheers for the tips. How much could I expect to fork out for a professional gardener to sort it? My portfolio of gardening equipment extends to a trowel. Would it be in the hundreds? I figure it would be easier to get someone who knows what they are doing and has the right kit to sort it, rather than me forking out and causing more havoc with shedborne implements.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Cheers for the tips. How much could I expect to fork out for a professional gardener to sort it? My portfolio of gardening equipment extends to a trowel. Would it be in the hundreds? I figure it would be easier to get someone who knows what they are doing and has the right kit to sort it, rather than me forking out and causing more havoc with shedborne implements.
Buy some grass seed put it on, water and leave it.

Best bet would be to turn it over (dig it up) and start fresh with turf.

Which weedkiller did you use? Was it lawn specific or general garden weed killer? When did you put the weed killer down?

How wet is the ground? If only slightly then below the turf dig through sand to help drainage. Grass/Turf will need about 6inches depth wise of soil to grow in so the sand would be best below this level. If its very bad then i highly recommend digging some trenches/slits below the grass level and putting in cheap grit or stones to let the water flow out. You can even let it drain into a neighbours garden to hack them off. Also you can hire roatavators easily enough for £50 a day that will make quick work of turning it over.

As for what to feed it. Ignore that Evergreen mow it less/feed'n'cut/etc nonsense. All they are is standard Evergreen Complete but at half strength. Seriously, no duff, its a scam. Buy the full strength Complete and merely put it down at half dose to do the same job but at a cheaper price if you must. But take into account that the Complete is a feeder, week killer and moss killer, jack of all trades master of none. It is perfectly fine for normal use, but say you have a serious moss problem in your lawn then you will need a dedicated mosskiller which has more strength to it.

Find a local proper (and i do mean proper, not a glorified gift shop type) garden centre. They will be able to give you plenty of help.

Edit to add -

If you want to get somebody in to do it then go to the proper garden centre mentioned above and ask them who they would recommend. Far too many cowboys and rip off merchants around these days.
Jarrod. It will not be as easy as just chucking down new grass seed, he will need to break up the old root system to let new growth in.

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Sad man as I am here are the steps to repair your lawn:
1. Scarify your lawn if you can’t be arsed to scarify just rake the moss out
2. Get a garden fork and push in to the limit of the prongs this will help drain the thing. Keep doing this until the end of Apr. Work methodically.
3. Buy a good match and patch seed your garden isn’t Wembley so don’t worry over a colour match.
4. Mow as soon and as often as you can.
5. In the autumn as it gets wet rake and fork early so the wet does not sit in the first two inches.

Good luck

If your near Wigan I’ll come round and show ya

P_P

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Toastie Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 456
Ravers The NAAFI Bar 2126
brewmeister The NAAFI Bar 49