Fucked laptop monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Krazy_Ivan, May 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Somehow, I've managed to crack my laptop monitor on my newish Toshiba Satellite Pro, it looks like I closed the lid with something inside.

I work in Afghanistan & getting hold of a replacement panel probably wouldn't be that problematic, however I'm back home next week and have come to the conclusion that I'd be better off buying one in the UK.

Now to the questions: Are all laptop LCD panels essentially the same? This is of course regarding the ribbon connections and so on. I've currently got a 1368x800 15.6' in it, is there any reason why I couldn't replace it with a 1900x1080 15.6'? This is of course subject to the various connections inside being the same.

Or would I just be better off ******* the whole lot off and spending £600-£700 on a new one?

If I were to replace it, what should I go for? Bear in mind I do like my games. My current (slightly damaged) one has a 2.26 dual core with 4Gb of RAM & an ATI HD 3470 in it. I'd want something better than this obviously.

AlienWare whilst nice, are far too expensive for what they are. I'd have a good look myself but the internet connection out here is god-awful. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

K_I

2. Firstly you have not provided quite enough information, would need to know the exact model designation of your laptop as there are various models in the range. Knowing that helps me get you a price.

One of the main suppliers of replacement laptop monitors in Europe is a company based in the UK.
    Laptop Power (NW) Ltd, Sandwash Close,
    Rainford Ind.Est, St Helens, WA11 8LY
    Tel: 0845 257 7745
    Fax: 01744 886631

They supply they part you require including an instruction book so that you can fit it yourself. Prices range from £49 - £138 inc VAT.
    As for connections all VGA(Analogue) or VGA(Digital) connectors are to an industry standard, so there should not be a problem on that front.

3. What's the matter too scared to take it to PC world and have your, ahem, hard drive looked at! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  4. This is all you'll ever need.

10.6 for web browsing and all round entertainment, stick Windows on it with Bootcamp for gaming and utilise the awesome hardware to run almost anything.

S'what I did, and I haven't looked back! Had it for two years now and not once have I had a single problem with it whatsoever.

5. The only thing I would trust PC World to do is **** it over even worse, the useless money grabbing bastards that they are.

Many thanks for the info Emsav, When I get back to the block, I'll dig up the details.

6. HHH

HHH LE

I think it's time to change your **** sock!!

7. Laptops have generic parts, so you will have to buy one for that range of laptops. Just plug a monitor into your laptop until you get a replacement from ebay or that other platz that emsav yank.

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

your in afghan so what you need is to either split the lid and get to the back of the screen and the model number or check the compatability of monitor at the various sites as manufacturers might use 12 different models in the same laptop just by switching suppliers for phillips to lg and so on.

also if its an crt or led backlight as that makes a huge difference to availability.

you can dop the research on ebay most of the time and either get new or look for second hand/recycled.

fitting them is easy enough, a sharp knife to take off the rubbers and some small phillips screwdrivers.

you cant change the monitor for a physically bigger one but you could maybe change for a higher resolution. you wont need it though.

the other option which works if your pc at home is a bit naff is to take the lid off completely, tuck the wifi antennas somewhere and use it with a normal monitor as a slimline desktop replacement.

give us the model of the laptop and the screen number if you can get to it and I'll have a look for you if you want.

9. msr

msr LE

Just buy a new one. If you are in Afghan, you are earning enough ;)

msr

10. A laptop with a CRT, that would be a novel idea!

11. Here you go:

[​IMG]

12. My Dad had something similar, I do believe it was a Compaq with a 6' green screen crt, I vaguely remember playing "Barbarian" & "R-Type" (what a game!!!) on it circa 1990.

13. Now that takes me back.

14. Emsav & grumblegrunt,

Details of my laptop are as follows:

Toshiba Satellite Pro, specifically the A300-28R (with an upgraded CPU), part no: psagde-02t003en, srl no: 69321247.

I was in error with my original post it has a 1280x800 lcd built in at the moment. I would appreciate a price for that 'un & also for the higher resolution ones if possible?

Many thanks chaps,

K_I

15. msr

msr LE

Toshiba satellite pro a300-28r 15.4 wxga 1 ccfl Laptop Screen, £66.99 retail price (ex. VAT)

£66.99, but if you don't have the skills to google it, you may not have the skills to replace the broken one...