FTSE: 8000 by year end?

Blast and fiddles sticks. I was going to make some changes to my SIPP last Friday to take advantage of some nice gains.... Got side tracked and now the market has dipped. Just can't time the markets:p

At least I am still in profit and if I die of the new killer virus the missus will get it all tax free. Always a silver lining!

Mrs B_R and I took out Index Tracker investments many , many years ago ... we pay no management charges ... market volatility such as now provides opportunities for Tracker Managers to skilfully purchase on our behalf and increase the value of our investment ... also twice a year if they are performing well we receive additional units added to our investment ... once awarded these units cannot be removed .... seems to have been a wise move as part of our investment portfolio .
You are paying management charges, and by definition, a tracker fund manager will not be looking to take positions designed to outperform.
Additional units - Royal London?

If anyone has shares in Stobarts -you are now considerably poorer!

Frozen at 71p when trading suspended - now worth 6p!

I hope no one had there pension pot in them.

You are paying management charges, and by definition, a tracker fund manager will not be looking to take positions designed to outperform.
Additional units - Royal London?
I shall root out original documentation sometime concerning Management Charges ... or lack of .... there are certainly no charges detailed on our investment statements .... by the bye the funds seem to be managed well whe averaged 12% increase in value 2019 .... Legal and General .

I shall root out original documentation sometime concerning Management Charges ... or lack of .... there are certainly no charges detailed on our investment statements .... by the bye the funds seem to be managed well whe averaged 12% increase in value 2019 .... Legal and General .
Even L&G don't work for free...

You will be paying charges, but IIRC for their Trackers its about 0.2%... Which is taken from the price of the units.

Bugger, Dad's portfolio is frozen pending Probate. I daresay HMG will hit us with IHT on the higher figure!
It may be that *access* to the portfolio is frozen, rather than the actual values. But I'm not an expert in Probate matters.

Even L&G don't work for free...

You will be paying charges, but IIRC for their Trackers its about 0.2%... Which is taken from the price of the units.
I have just got back home and rooted out some 20 year old documentation .... and I sit corrected .... I have been under a misapprehension .... Management Charges do exist ... I can only put error down to the final few brain cells popping their clogs .... still happy with the returns .

Because I know what I'm talking about...
Clearly you don't.

Or you are either as thick as brick or trolling for effect.

I'll refresh your memory on what I previously said.

As you haven't a clue what my tax liabilities are - How can you say that ?
it was all about minimising my tax liability.
Now, which one of the following is the best deal in minimising my tax liabilities ?

1. A lifetime annuity consisting of a lump sum of £125k Tax Free plus £12k a year, at a tax rate of 40%

Or

2. Drawdown of £25k a year. With suggested figures in the region of £6k Tax Free plus £19k a year, at a tax rate of 40%

If you don't need the £, why buy an annuity? The majority of it will likely vanish on your death,
1. The plan was always to invest for the duration of my employment in O&G and then quit / cash in when I retired.

2. If only someone had the foresight to pencil in a '' Fall of the Perch '' date in my calendar.

Right, recommendations gentlemen.

They say buy when the blood is running on the streets, so what are we all buying now that they are cheap?

Things I wouldn't touch if they were handed to me free are airlines and cruise lines. I think there will be permanent damage to them, especially the latter, no matter how COVID plays out.

But others? I read Diageo has taken a hit, bad Chinese lunar new year and all that. But my goodness, think of the pent-up partying that there is going to be when this finally passes. Definitely booze stocks have got to be very tempting right now.

Health care? Pharma? Although I doubt if any of them are cheap right now.

Anyone want to make a few picks now and we can come back in six months and see how we did?

They say buy when the blood is running on the streets, so what are we all buying now that they are cheap?
I've finished anyway, and will not be reinvesting.

However, if I was looking to buy, now would not be the time I would buy.

For the simple reason, I think this virus sh!t has been getting underplayed and a world of hurt is still to come for the stock markets.

As always, merely my opinion.

Things I wouldn't touch if they were handed to me free are airlines and cruise lines. I think there will be permanent damage to them, especially the latter, no matter how COVID plays out.

But others? I read Diageo has taken a hit, bad Chinese lunar new year and all that. But my goodness, think of the pent-up partying that there is going to be when this finally passes. Definitely booze stocks have got to be very tempting right now.

Anyone want to make a few picks now and we can come back in six months and see how we did?
I am more worried about finding masks, gotta keep up with the new Safe sex 2020 requirements!

Clearly you don't.

Or you are either as thick as brick or trolling for effect.

I'll refresh your memory on what I previously said.

Now, which one of the following is the best deal in minimising my tax liabilities ?

1. A lifetime annuity consisting of a lump sum of £125k Tax Free plus £12k a year, at a tax rate of 40%

Or

2. Drawdown of £25k a year. With suggested figures in the region of £6k Tax Free plus £19k a year, at a tax rate of 40%

1. The plan was always to invest for the duration of my employment in O&G and then quit / cash in when I retired.

2. If only someone had the foresight to pencil in a '' Fall of the Perch '' date in my calendar.
It's not me that's too thick to understand that if you'd not taken out an annuity and left your pensions funds intact / uncrystalised, you wouldn't be paying tax on the income.

Because you wouldn't be receiving the income, which you've already told us, you dont need.

I dont think you realise how out of your depth you are here.

I bet you refused to take advice, because you reckoned you knew what you're doing...

Why are you considering stock picking?

You're right to consider investing now, as long as you dont have a short investment horizon and a reasonable attitude to risk.

I'd consider a largely equity based portfolio split between UK and Global with a good proportion of US equities. Don't try to stock pick, let a fund manager do it for you. I'll show the fund split of one of my SIPP pensions a little later purely for interest and not as a recommendation.

What suits me may not be appropriate for you...

ETA: snapshot:

1582881735061.png

Fund splits:

1582881883173.png

Last edited:
It's not me that's too thick to understand that if you'd not taken out an annuity and left your pensions funds intact / uncrystalised, you wouldn't be paying tax on the income.
I understand that perfectly.

What is your DS solution ? Leave it intact in perpetuity until I die ?

I intend spending that money before I die, paying the least amount of tax possible.

What you do not appear to understand. financial planning / advice is tailored to the individual and the individual's circumstances, taking everything into consideration.

You appear to be able to flap your gums and try and tell people that they have made a wrong choice, knowing absolutely none of the above.

Does it embarrass you that I have retired at 58 and even in retirement, still a taxpayer at 40% ?

I understand why the FTSE is falling....But why is the £ taking a dive too ?
Because in times of market panic the dollar is the currency of choice. Increasingly it is the euro but dollar has advantage it still pays a positive return. Currencies are pirced against each other so a stronger dollar usually means other currencies fall.
Stock market declines or crashes are all about risk aversion so the first place the money goes is cash, then short dated treasury bills and government bonds, then corporate bonds then blue chip equities then the more punty stuff as risk appetite returns. How painful it is depends on your time horizon and if you have borrowed to invest.
The recovery depends on the causes of the crash - 2008 was real balance sheet destruction. Today many companies, particularly banks, have much stronger balance sheets.
As ever diversification is key, have a mix of different asset classes, bonds, shares, real estate, infrastructure. All of which can be done cheaply via ETFs or trackers and if you can, take all tax advantages available, pensions, ISAs etc.

Or

Since you've come back dripping again, I'm going to continue to point out and demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about...

The Drawdown (DD) figure you give will be maximum DD based on your pension fund of £500k.

1. You do not have to draw the maximum, you could very well elect to take £6k tax free plus £19k pa from that account, paying the same amount of tax as you'd have done under your Lifetime Annuity - but you would still have funds invested.

2. GIven you've said more than once, you don't need the money, why have you decided to, err, take the money?

3. If you'd gone down the DD route and karked it pre 75, THE WHOLE FUND would have been available to your nominated beneficiary entirely free of tax. I hope you can see that this is rather good from a taxation point of view.

1. But you don't need the £ and don't want to pay tax - but you've decided to take an annuity, and so will pay tax...

2. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but you will, as some point, pop your clogs. Depending on the shape of the annuity you've taken out, there may, or may not be some payment to a beneficiary. Which will be taxable; the position for DD on death is far more favourable.

You didn't take advice, did you? Third or fourth time I've mentioned this now and you've not said I'm wrong...

Since you've come back dripping again, I'm going to continue to point out and demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about...
I'm not dripping. However, I think you might be

Newsflash: UK stocks have now slumped to their lowest level in three and a half-years.

As the sell-off intensifies, the FTSE 100 is now down nearly 4.5% - or 300 points - at just 6495 points.

That’s its weakest level since July 2016, shortly after the Brexit referendum.
You hang in there - I got out at around 7400.

I will refer you to post 04

There are also plenty of others who say that a Stock Market crash is not too far away, which is why I cashed in and converted to pension this year.

Pays yer money and takes yer chances.
It was a 50 / 50. Citigroup ( As per your OP ) got it wrong. My girl called it correctly ( TBF - She didn't mention a f***ing virus )

I'm not dripping.
Oh, you most certainly are.

You have no answer to my last except to change the subject.

You really have no clue what you're talking about.

You should have taken advice.

HMRC says thanks for the income tax you're paying unnecessarily.

Oh, you most certainly are.

You have no answer to my last except to change the subject.

You really have no clue what you're talking about.

You should have taken advice.

HMRC says thanks for the income tax you're paying unnecessarily.
I get it

You are rather butthurt.

C'est La Vie

The value of your investment can go down as well as up, Caveat Emptor,