FTSE: 8000 by year end?

Just scan through the FTSE100 constituent list. It’s dominated by UK consumer facing businesses, either service businesses, retail, consumer goods or leisure.

I’d say the FTSE100 is very exposed to UK consumer confidence. I don’t think 3500 is an unrealistic target for a short position on the FTSE. Where is the recovery coming from?

The Bank of QE - seems to have quite a lot in its reserves

Archie

The Bank of QE - seems to have quite a lot in its reserves

Archie
Cheap, easy money is a major reason why the FTSE climbed so high. It’s not like it’s packed with companies with ground breaking IP or world leading products.

Lots of UK focussed B2C companies that have blown their cash reserves to survive covid. Few strong companies with a global offer that can withstand Covid.

The bubble will burst. It has to. The only trade I would take on the FTSE is short, targeting 3500.

jg505

War Hero
Well surprisingly the FTSE 100 finished up 77 points on the day.

However, I'd say strap yourself in, I think we're in for a hell of a bumpy ride over the next 6-12 months.

Well surprisingly the FTSE 100 finished up 77 points on the day.

However, I'd say strap yourself in, I think we're in for a hell of a bumpy ride over the next 6-12 months.
It’s in a clear downward channel on the monthly chart. Just draw trend lines between the highs and a line between the lows; you’ve got two parallel lines forming a channel. Yesterday’s low was on the lower trend line; the balance of probabilities is that price action constrained by a channel will respect the channel.

There could be a shorting opportunity coming up when price action reacts with the upper trend line.

Channel surfing is a nice trade strategy; read Channel Surfing by Michael Parsons to find out how.

jg505

War Hero
It’s in a clear downward channel on the monthly chart. Just draw trend lines between the highs and a line between the lows; you’ve got two parallel lines forming a channel. Yesterday’s low was on the lower trend line; the balance of probabilities is that price action constrained by a channel will respect the channel.

There could be a shorting opportunity coming up when price action reacts with the upper trend line.

Channel surfing is a nice trade strategy; read Channel Surfing by Michael Parsons to find out how.
Cheers, I think I'll have a look at that. I've always wanted to look into the charting side of trading a bit more, but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

jg505

War Hero
8000 by the end of the year......no problem ;-)

Joking aside, I think talk of a successful covid vaccine has had a huge impact on the markets today......really not sure what impact Biden will have, I'll wait with bated breath ;-)

D

Deleted 176122

FTSE 100 lost 15% in 2020.

Fortunately, playing the stock market is a lot like driving a car. You keep your eyes on the road ahead, rather than becoming fixated upon immediate potholes, or roadkill

Sage Advice

Over all 2020 was not a bad year for my investments.
SIPP was up and down like a whores draws, but finished where it started in 2020.

My Covid gambling portfolio finished 22% up this year (+some non listed gold mining shares I need to sort out).

Hurrah for me!

Time to do a Lazarus on the thread.

The FTSE is at 7058 today.

My gambling portfolio is up too. Started off with £3500 and it is now £5225. IF Whetherspoons, Marstons, RR and SPCE spring back I would be a lot happier. ( I know, WHAT WAS I THINKING!!).

Bar a few stocks that rocketed, the mainstay of growth was the UK Growth fund (+28%).

My SIPP is doing well too, up 10%.

What have a learned?
Next time there is a whiff of a pandemic I am liquidating and sitting on the cash until the green shoots of recover can be seen.

Time to do a Lazarus on the thread.

The FTSE is at 7058 today.

My gambling portfolio is up too. Started off with £3500 and it is now £5225. IF Whetherspoons, Marstons, RR and SPCE spring back I would be a lot happier. ( I know, WHAT WAS I THINKING!!).

Bar a few stocks that rocketed, the mainstay of growth was the UK Growth fund (+28%).

My SIPP is doing well too, up 10%.

What have a learned?
Next time there is a whiff of a pandemic I am liquidating and sitting on the cash until the green shoots of recover can be seen.
If you go to cash when you experience a loss, all you are doing is crystallising that loss.

You cannot reliably time the markets.

LVH

I'm up 11% YTD, 24% over 12 months, 47% since I penned a piece about "What to do now the market has crashed" on 24 March last year, and 26.5% over 24 months.

I put some house sale proceeds into the market in may, having the courage of my convictions and that's risen by 37%. All figures net of charges.

Hurrah for me.

LVH

I'm up 11% YTD, 24% over 12 months, 47% since I penned a piece about "What to do now the market has crashed" on 24 March last year, and 26.5% over 24 months.

I put some house sale proceeds into the market in may, having the courage of my convictions and that's risen by 37%. All figures net of charges.

Hurrah for me.

That's and excellent return! I wish I had the balls to put more into a UK fund last year, but opted for building up premium bonds.
On reflection I made more from £2800 in a UK Growth fund, than I did from my premium bonds (with x13 the amount invested).

That's and excellent return! I wish I had the balls to put more into a UK fund last year, but opted for building up premium bonds.
On reflection I made more from £2800 in a UK Growth fund, than I did from my premium bonds (with x13 the amount invested).
I can't pretend I didn't have a few 50p / 20p moments...

If you go to cash when you experience a loss, all you are doing is crystallising that loss.

You cannot reliably time the markets.

This has given me food for thought. Give the 50 year window of the S&P500 and the growth of $1k to $139k, Why aren't more parents sticking a grand in a junior SIPP (Index fund) and it being locked away for 40-55 years of growth?

cymraeg

War Hero
This has given me food for thought. Give the 50 year window of the S&P500 and the growth of $1k to $139k, Why aren't more parents sticking a grand in a junior SIPP (Index fund) and it being locked away for 40-55 years of growth?
For even half those returns I wouldn't mind doing that for my bairns. Is such a thing available

Airblade

Clanker
I'm in a bit of a fortunate position, started investing last year just as the market crashed when countries started going into lockdown. Made quite a decent return so far. I use the FTSE Global All Cap.

I followed through and started a Junior SIPP for my boys. A bag of sand each to start with.

Also took the opportunity to open junior stocks and shares ISA's for them (lump sum + monthly DD).

I had put money aside for a Rolex (before prices went mental/Covid) and used part of that to feather their savings. Save save save is the new mantra!

I chucked a couple of grand into a L&G US Index fund about a year ago - happy that it's now about 25% up.

I did the same with another fund a couple of months later - now about 18% up.

Latest Threads